Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope Pro 3 over Pro 2 – Worth the money?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Have some old (5 years) Pro II hubs on XC717.

Apart from the weight and stainless bearings any advantage over Pro II – i.e. seals, strength etc – looking @ Pro III on 355 but not sure my purse is full enough 🙂 Obviously would look at either the 6 bolt or the 3 bolt with rotors.

clive
    Free Member

I have a set of pro 3 on dt 4.2 for sale

And I will be selling them off at a good price 😀

Email in profile if your interested

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I think Pro3s are more fragile than Pro2s? That put me right off.

foxyrider
    Free Member

YGM Clive

I guess the 6 bolt is similar to the Pro2

coopersport1
    Free Member

I think Pro3s are more fragile than Pro2s? That put me right off.

I thought so too, but still bought some of the 3 bolt ones for racing, I put them on my Five a year ago and haven't taken them off yet! Done loads of enduros, trail centres, TransGermany on them and they've been spot on. Bought them from WheelPro, and they are as straight and true as the day I had them. I did notice a bit of occasional flex when I has up near the 15st mark but other than that they're great, considering they've only got 24 spokes each!
    However the weight differance between Pro 2 and 3's isn't much unless your an out and out racer and worried about that sort of thing!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh worked out about 250g for the pair over Pro2/Pro3 on XC717

Just wondered what the longevity between services is like on the Pro 3?

njee20
    Free Member

Have Pro 2s really been out for that long!? Christ!

I wouldn't bother. The Pro 3s are significantly more expensive, whilst not being that much lighter. If you want to spend the sort of money that the Pro 3s are you could buy something lighter, with more spokes.

Same bearings in a Pro 3, so there's no reason they'd need longer between services.

Truing straight pull spokes can be a bugger too, and spares are harder to come by, although you do get some spares with the wheel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

keep an eye on your spokes … im not convinced

my pro3 stans 355 combo started sporting corrosion earlier this year despite living in my house and only being out twice off road all winter – ok one of those rides was the puffer – the other was a 40k shake down ride and then randomly started snapping mid spoke ….

stainless steel apparently … cheese says i

hope were good though and rebuilt them sharpish with new spokes for me

Big-Chris
    Free Member

I looked into both earlier this year. I went for the Pro 2 with DT 500 rims & I can't believe how much better they run than my old XT hubs. No difference in weight, but sooo smooth running. I was put off the Pro 3 for several reasons: rider weight limit, very expensive, not much weight saving, bits harder to come by. If there's one thing I've learned the hard way over recent years, it's to buy tried & tested durable products, rather than the latest bling untested technology. I'd go with Pro 2.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I do have the ProII SP and on my Five and doing great so far but I am 75Kg so weight limit not an issue (well at present – wait till Xmas 🙁 )

@njee – I thought the Pro 3 had stainless bearings cc Pro2 no?

Cheers Guys

coopersport1
    Free Member

Weight limit pro3/355? Gulps I'm a bit lighter now but I was 15 1/2stone and haven't had a problem. That said mine did get the RM treatment, a mate bought some stock 6bolt Pro3/355 and the rear wheel fell apart first ride! He's only about 11st and on a HT.
    If I ever catch RM with stock again I'll some Pro2/Crest as I need a spare set.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Will Crests be strong enough for a 15.5 stone rider? I'd make sure – you might be better off with something like Flows?

Thoroughly impressed with my new Pro2s/xc717s and having killed a few rear hubs, I'm hoping they last well.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I now have spent some money to fully service my Pro II's – so put the new wheel think off for a while 🙂

Cheers for the comments though 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Crests will be fine under a 15.5 stone rider, as long as they're not a complete oaf!

I thought the Pro 3 had stainless bearings cc Pro2 no?

I meant the same internals, seals etc, so the service interval should be the same as a Pro 2, not honestly sure about the actual bearings.

mauja
    Free Member

I've got the Pro 3's, I think they are a bit fragile as I've snapped spokes 3 times now, I'm way under the suggested weight limit and only really use them for xc racing so nothing particularly rough.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mauja where are they snapping ?

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Not enuff weight saved to bother IMO

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just going to convert my Pro2 XC717 wheelset on my HT to 9mm and 10mm like my Pro2 SP wheelset on my Five so I can swap them between bikes – also got some new seals and bearings FR & RR and pawls to do a complete overhaul. That should sort em 🙂 They are in need of a spruce up really so not going to replace them just yet with some Pro3's 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 3 over Pro 2 – Worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.