Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope pro 2 rear hub problems.
  • MicArms

Brought a hope pro 2 off the classifieds a few weeks ago, finally got round to sticking it on to the bike this evening. However…

Wheel in frame, and QR not tightened up, the wheel spins fine, and the freehub does the 'clicky thing' freewheeling thing just fine.

Tighten up the qr, and the freehub just turns into a fixie!!!

Quick check on the hope web site and a chat to my mate with pro 2s, they both say check for the washer between the freehub and the hub. Yeap, thats there, so now open to suggestions…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Go for a ride up and down the street for a bit? It might just need loosening off a bit, perhaps it's not been used for a while?

trail_rat
    Free Member

bet parts 11 and 5 on the exploded hub diagram have been put in back to front

robarnold
    Free Member

I had a similar problem at the start of the summer. After much investigation, I managed to isolate it to the drive side end cap.

Basically the end cap had become worn in such a manner that when the wheel was then clamped, the inner race of the end cap was pushed up against the exterior bearing race/seal surface and causing the whole freewheel assembly to rotate along with the axle. Spinning the rear wheel would drive the cranks and back pedalling would cause the chain to suck in to the chain stay….sounds like a similar problem to yours.

I solved it by machining the inner race of the end cap away in the lathe so that it only contacted the appropriate area of the outer freewheel bearing.

Buying a new DS end cap would obviously achieve the same feat if a lathe isn't available, however.

Hope that helps 8)

MicArms

Also this is a brand new wheel.

Wally

The washer between the freehub and the hub has to be "clicked" home, i use a broad screwdriver and work around, but this does it better.
    tool thingy.

MicArms

Found the problem….

Only one number 8 bearing fitted…

WillC9999
    Free Member

RobArnold – think I might have the same problem. Been having a weird sticky rear hub. I open it up, clean out any kak, maybe replace a rough bearing (but still not seized) and rebuild. Seems fine. A ride or two later and the thing has turned fixie! I looks at my DS end cap and it did look a bit uneven, like it had been rubbing on the outer bearing. In a last ditch attempt, and not having a lathe, I filed the end cap surface flat with a file. It already seems better but I might be imagining it. Is the end cap surface supposed to be flat though or should there be some raised areas to locate on the bearing?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 rear hub problems.’ is closed to new replies.