Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 Hubs
  • RayMazey
    Free Member

Your opinions please-

I have used Hope XC in the past, but wanted your opinion on Pro2

Reliable or not?

Thanks
    Ray Mazey

AdeC
    Free Member

reliable, reasonably cheap, easy to get spares, loads of colours. But the rear is NOISEY! Some people like this.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Is that the Ray Mazey who runs the courses at Rivi?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But the rear is NOISEY! Some people like this.

or the rear is a beutiful piece of engineering reminding you with each click just how good it is and reminding the person you are following as they are pedalling their guts out that you my friend are free wheeling!!

RayMazey
    Free Member

Yes. Just love that free advertising :o) Hope you don't say anything bad about me now :o)

Have we met ChatsworthMusters ?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Really like mine & they've been rock solid for the last 6 months (but then again, I wouldn't expect anything else). Love the noise too, reminds you that you have a very nice set of wheels 😀

RayMazey
    Free Member

and reminding the person you are following as they are pedalling their guts out that you my friend are freewheeling!! ………………

Only if I am going downhill :o)

nicko74

Pro 2 has the alloy freehub, so a cassette on a steel carrier (ie lower than XT or SRAM 970) may dig into the freehub body. Personally I want to change from XC to Pro 2s, but really the XCs perform well enough that I can't really justify it (particularly because I'm after an obscure colour). If you're running any kind of bolt-through axle, though, it's easier to justify 🙂

vinnyeh

Freehub is aluminium and soft as cheese- needs cassette with an alloy carrier or swapping out for a steel freehub if you want to avoid gouging. Not really suitable for ss'ing imo.

Other folks will of course tell you different. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IME (2.5 sets of XCs, 2.5 sets Pro2s) for general UK XC riding the XC is slightly better because –

1) The bearings last a lot, LOT longer. XC bearings are simply fatter and beefier. Think looking side on at a Polo, rather than a Hula Hoop! 🙂
    2) They have a steel freehub body and can be used with any cassette or SS cog
    3) They are quieter. Pro 2 noise got to me in the end…..

The advantages of a Pro 2 are –

1) More versitile
    2) Rear axle is possibly stronger (I've snapped 2 XC rear axles)

It took me 4 years to destroy (And I mean runied, really knackered) a Hope XC rear, and I destroy rear hubs for breakfast. That's the longest serving I've ever had, by a long way. And I never touched them for the first 2 and a bit years, and the front is still untouched.
    I've only had 1 Pro2 (So far) last more than about 10 months without bearing or freehub problems…..

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

RayMazey – Member

Yes. Just love that free advertising :o) Hope you don't say anything bad about me now :o)

Have we met ChatsworthMusters ?

Yup. Came on one of your courses some years ago. Very good it was. Free publicity a speciality!!!

glenh
    Free Member

Pro2s are lighter and can do 20mm front axle; Otherwise, XCs are better cos they last much longer.

RayMazey
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies eveybody.

It was just that the Pro 2 are on a bike I maybe buying.

PeterPoddy – I also have snapped at least 2 axles in XC. Some may argue, that this is because I am as slightly :o) overweight person. So hearing that you have had the same problem, makes me feel a tad better. Please dont tell me now that you are slightly smaller than a gable end:o)

RayMazey
    Free Member

Thanks ChatsworthMusters

Glad you enjoyed it :o)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – I also have snapped at least 2 axles in XC. Some may argue, that this is because I am as slightly :o) overweight person. So hearing that you have had the same problem, makes me feel a tad better. Please dont tell me now that you are slightly smaller than a gable end:o)

How VERY dare you! 😉 I am a bit smaller than a gabe end, more like a brick s… house! 😀

Dougal
    Free Member

Near (Early December) 4yo Pro II still going strong. Love the noise. As said already, bearings don't last as long as XC, but still a year of wet riding out of them.

woody2000

Can you still buy XCs?

bomberman
    Free Member

no

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you're lucky, like I was, you find a brand new XC rear for £60 in an LBS…. 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 Hubs’ is closed to new replies.