Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • hope pro 2 hub bearings
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

just taken my casette off to have a feel about the bearings and as im twisting them they seem very gritty/grindy not as smooth as they were when i bought em anyway, does this mean the bearings need changing? could be the cause of that creaking noise ?

wwaswas

yes and possibly.

Matbike
    Free Member

yah, i think so too.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

is this an easy process to someone whos never done that before? or is it best to take it to a lbs

wwaswas

it's straightforward as long as you've got access to appropriate sized drifts/sockets to get bearings in and out and don't mind twatting your best wheels really hard with a mallet. Pro"'s are slightly more complex than older Hope hubs I thinka s the seals need more care around the freehub.

if you're not confident get a price from your lbs and for fitting and see how you feel about it after that.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

well ive just watched a vid on how to do it on you tube from the hope tech guy and it looks fair complicated, maby take it to lbs if its fairly cheap,

KINGTUT
    Free Member

well ive just watched a vid on how to do it on you tube from the hope tech guy and it looks fair complicated, maby take it to lbs if its fairly cheap,

Expect to pay around £50 including bearings.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

50 quid to change some bearings, i bet i can get cheaper

soobalias
    Free Member

yes i bet you can.
    crc price £twenty something
    lbs labour charge £twenty something

a mate of mine recently ordered the bearings from a bearing supplier and was charged £84!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat the hub and freeze the bearings – it makes it much easier.

A full set of quality bearings is not cheap – you can get cheap bearings but they won't last as long

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i dont care what im paying these days as long as its reasonable price, ive spend just as much on the bike as much as i payed for it, seems that bloody way, nothing is ever 100% working one thing is fixed the next thing goes lol

_tom_
    Free Member

nothing is ever 100% working one thing is fixed the next thing goes lol

haha sounds exactly the same as my bike, always something up with it! I haven't even sorted out my drivetrain yet and now my rear hub seems to be ****.

Not a Pro 2 but my lbs charged about a tenner to fit some new sealed bearings to my specialized stout hub.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

nightmare aint it tom, my forks are knackered leaking oil which im still waiting on, im waiting on a front mech and i need to put my rear mech on and all the cables, the hubs now needs doing, lol at least its good for learning about bikes and stuff, the more things break the more you think right im gona do this shit my self lol

foxyrider
    Free Member

Pretty easy TBH – you don't need the drifts if your carefull :

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

Kieran

Just a slight thread hijack, but does anyone know where you can get ceramic bearings to fit the Pro2 rode a friends bike with full ceramic bearings and was impressed.

NorthShaun
    Free Member

Just had a bearing service done on my back wheel. There's 5 sets of the buggers! Cost 20 quid for the bearing set & £15 labour, which I didn't think was too bad. Even cleaned my cassette!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thats pretty good labour costs NS IMHO 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘hope pro 2 hub bearings’ is closed to new replies.