Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 Freehub sticks when tighten QR
  • sam_commencal
    Free Member

Hi All,

Last night I swapped the axle and end caps in my Pro 2 from a 9mm QR to a 10mm through axle.

Now when I tighten the QR up, the freehub locks. It’s fine when it’s off the bike and spins freely.

The bearings all seemed OK and span freely when I stripped it and I have triple checked that the 2mm spacer is in the right place between the freehub and the centre bearing when I reassembled.

The hub is over 2 years old – is it possible the new end caps need to ‘wear in?’ I can’t think of anything else and I am sure I’ve driven the bearings back into place as far as possible.

Thanks!

Sam.

wwaswas

I think you need to change the axle as well as the end caps for 10mm on a standard Pro2, don’t you? The Evo is just an end cap change?

sam_commencal
    Free Member

Yep, It’s a standard Pro 2 so I replaced both end caps and axle.

Also, the drive side seal didn’t ‘click’ into the hub like on the video and I’ve tryed pressing it in further with a screwdriver… but it looks like it’s already seated quite nicely – should it take a lot of force to seat this in place?

wwaswas

should have read your original post a bit more carefully 😳

Only time I had problems with hope freehubs sticking was when I didn;’t put spacers back in the right order

messiah
    Free Member

Spacer or the seal are the usual culprits for a sticky Pro2.

shortcut

Is the seal (free hub side) seated properly in the hub body?

fivespot
    Free Member

Is the 10mm conversion new or used ?

sam_commencal
    Free Member

I thought it was – I put a bit of force on it around the circumference with a screwdriver (proper hope tool not in stock at the LBS) but there wasn’t a click as it engaged into the hub body. Is it possible this needs to go in further into the hub?

It’s a new conversion.

Marko

As stated usual problem is the seal on the free hub body. End cap off, lift the free hub very slightly and using a blunt stick push the seal into the hub.

Cap back on – go ride.

Hth
    Marko

stevomcd
    Free Member

There’s also a little spacer which has to be in the right place / right-way-round (or something) which will definitely cause this if you forget to put it back properly.

nosemineb
    Free Member

There are two cylindrical spacers that look identical, theyre not! Like said above i reckon you have these the wrong way round. One slides on the axle and the other is indide the freehub body next to the circlip i think.

billyboy
    Free Member

There is a spacer on the axle behind the freehub. If that is missing you will get this problem.

The outer seal…from memory, the green one, causes this problem if you apply too much grease. Take it out out, clean the grease off it and the recess it sits in, give the seal a touch of GT85, reinsert and the problem should go away.

foxyrider
    Free Member

As messiah says: Spacer or the seal are the usual culprits for a sticky Pro2.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve got the freehub seal on the wrong way round. (I’ve done this myself).

sam_commencal
    Free Member

for those interested…

I took the freehub body off again and cleaned out all the gunk inside the groove where the drive side seal sits (I didn’t realise there was a groove until I’d cleaned it!) This seems to have cured it and it now runs like new again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 Freehub sticks when tighten QR’ is closed to new replies.