Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope pro 2 bearing replacement – when to do it?
  • kwack
    Free Member

I have had the hubs for 3 years or so now and the wheel still seems to run freely with no play etc.

Do I leave alone until it starts getting notchy or just change them anyway

What do people usually do – I had an Hope XC hub way back which I changed all the bearings on but to be honest even after 4 years all of them were fine so kinda wasted my time

Cheers
    Kwack

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

When there’s some play at the rim.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I usually replace if theres play in the free-hub body or the actual wheel bearings,Using SKF bearings packed with waterproof marine grease makes them last much longer and be careful not to damage them on installation.

cynic-al
    Free Member

When you want – the bottom line would be before any play causes damage to something.

Most replace long before there is any real need.

Garry_Lager

Rear is 5 bearings – get a cheap set for £15, £30 for a kaesae-level set (the highest quality of bearing known to mankind). So I wouldn’t be in a hurry to change them without good reason.

Front is just 2 – swap em over in 5 minutes. I just did this on my bike with only a small amount of play in the hub, just because it had run 2 years and why not?

carlphillips
    Free Member

every 3-6 months in my experience :(,
    I’ve never had to touch my burgtecs on my DH bike even after alps trips and lots of uplifts but my pro 2’s on my trail bike just eat the damn things.both front and rear.

but if no play at rim then just a quick stripdown every so often to check its all greased and working well.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too have found the pro 2 eats front bearings on the brake side get about 6 months to a year from a set and it doesn’t matter if they are cheap ie £2.50 a race or SKF which from memory were about £10 a race. As for rears I average about five years from a set which ain’t bad for 18 stone on a hard tail!
    I use rule of thumb if there is any play at the edge of the wheel so you don’t end up eating brake pads!

kwack
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.. When you say play is that up and down or in and out on the axle

Garry_Lager

It might be both – but usually refers to lateral play (side to side). If you put the bike on the ground (check quick release or axle is done up correctly) and grab the tyre. There shouldn’t be any lateral movement at the hub if you try and move the wheel side to side. The whole wheel will flex a little (spokes, rim), but if you feel that there’s a rocking movement at the hub it indicates the bearings have deteriorated.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope pro 2 bearing replacement – when to do it?’ is closed to new replies.