Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope Pro 2 20mm axle convertors – wear?
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

My front Hope Pro 2 hub appears to have developed play but it seems like the axle convertors are very loose (yes the spring clips are present and correctly attached). Has anyone had the axle convertors wear giving a similar feel and movement at the tyre of about 2-3mm or is it just the bearings shot despite there is no real movement when I run it on my fingers in the bearing races.

Liftman

Bearings, had the same issue, changed the bearings and now the float in the wheel is minimal

Suggsey
    Free Member

Okay thanks for quick reply, ordered some bearings anyway, was more wondering if I would need new convertors too.

robhughes
    Free Member

i had the same problem when i changed from q/r to 20mm
    the converters where new so i changed the bearings and it,s still there.
    it,s got me beat.
    thought it might be the headset as i wobbled the wheel from side to side but no.
    **** knows what it is.
    it,s only about 1-2mm at the rim but it is annoying.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

there is an issue with some forks and hope hubs IIRC when you get play that is hard to eliminate. However the converters are loose on mine but everything all tightens up with the wheel in the fork and the axle tight. Teh converters are just spacers.

takisawa2

Mine did this after I forget to put the centre tube back.
    Just a thought.

rc200f8
    Free Member

yeah, had similar problems, always had play I couldn’t get rid of with the pro 2 in my marzocchi 55’s and yet same hub with same bearings in my fox 36’s or older bomber z1 lights with old style 20mm axle and ther’s no play. I think ther’s a problem with some axles being slightly undersized. What forks are you using?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hope 20mm converters are always loose when they’re not in the fork. Its your bearings. Nowt wrong with the converters. Its very unlikely they’re substantially worn.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Forks are Revelation Dual Air Travel adjust 20mm maxle light. They seem tight to slip into the dropout area of the fork and when I do the maxle up (tight) and flip the qr lever it all feels solid at the axle hub area so maybe is just worn bearings. i will update once new bearings are installed.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

what TJ and RC said, if you search youll find loads of threads discussing what seems like a manufacturing tolerance issue with some Pro 2s suffering leteral play or movement in 20mm set up. It always seems to be maxles that get mentioned in the same sentence but that may be more to do with their popularity over other brands.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Really, my recollection of that particular issue was that is was almost exclusively fox 20mm axles?

stupot
    Free Member

Suggsy; I had the exact same problem (similar wobble, same fork, same hub), new bearings sorted it.

One word of advice go steady doing the Maxle up, I managed to snap the skewer flipping the lever. Got replaced under warrenty, but took a while.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro 2 20mm axle convertors – wear?’ is closed to new replies.