Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Hope pedals
  • thegman67

I am in the market for new flat pedals after having loads of problems with play in my VP Harrier,are Hopes worth the money

orangespyderman

I’m as fond of bling as the next man*, but couldn’t bring myself to believe they’d be twice as good as other pedals that were around half the price**… 😕

EDIT *and, in fact, probably fonder than many…
    EDIT **or three time as good as pedals around a third of the price

fourbanger
    Free Member

Weird, just came here to ask about new flats for my new bike.

drovercycles
    Free Member

They’re very nice pedals – good shape, good grip, well made (of course) and as with almost anything from Hope will last a lifetime with maintenance (which can be done, as they’ll have any spares you might need, unlike some).

They’re also pretty expensive and there are lots of good, modern, flat pedals on the market. You can get something 80% as good for 50% of the price (sometimes less) so it’s a question of whether that extra 20% is worth the significant additional cost, to you.

Same as with their hubs, headsets, BBs, etc.

IMHO, yes, they’re worth it – but then we sell them!

warpcow
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by worth the money. I like mine better than the Nanos I also have, but I didn’t pay anywhere near full price for them either. If you’re looking for vfm then Nanos are the choice, but I suspect the Hopes will last a lot longer.

wl
    Free Member

After 9 months of hard use on a hardtail I can’t fault my plastic Nukeproofs – they weigh nothing, grip like glue and were £29.

ulysse
    Free Member

wl – Member
    After 9 months of hard use on a hardtail I can’t fault my plastic Nukeproofs – they weigh nothing, grip like glue and were £29.

This.
    The nylon Sam Hill versions have been brilliant through summer and winter, the bearings are still perfect, they deliberately don’t spin freely so foot placement after a dab is a breeze, I expected this “stiction” to be the first feature to wear out but it’s still perfect.
    The replaceable steel pins are all fine and correct, but two of the molded pins on the outer edge have worn off due to pedal strikes riding rocky climbs..
    So highly recommended

Leku
    Free Member

I have a pair of Hope pedals.

I started with plastic Nukeproof ones but I found that when a pin gets bent, the softer plastic body stops you replacing them.
    Then Superstar Mags. Failed under warranty.
    Replaced with UK made Superstar ones. Failed again but couldnt be bothered to go through (painful) warranty.

It was my birthday so got the Hope ones. Slightly wider platform than the above. Maybe not quite as gripy. I’m very happy with them.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Both my favourite bikes have Hope flats, because they are worth it.

I really like them and have had no problems. On my MTB I originally had Spank Spike pedals that also cost a lot but seized within 1 year.

andybrad

got some. good but not great.

pins are nice as that dont cut your shins but you need 5:10 to not fall off them.

running nanos after rebuilding the hopes (30quid in bearings!!!!) they are better imo but have gone wobbily after only a few months usage. Hopes took some right hammer for 3 years before needing any attention.

edd

I’ve run a pair of Hope flats since 2013. They’re dead reliable and spares availability is great (in fact they were rebuilt – their first ever maintenance – this winter).

I don’t find them as grippy as other pedals and they’re really expensive. Personally, if they were to need replacing I’d get something cheaper and grippier (I loved the Nukeproof Electron’s that I had before). That said if you value reliability they’re great.

EDIT:

rebuilding the hopes (30quid in bearings!!!!)

That’s what it cost me too. I almost bought some new Nukeproof’s instead!

whitestone
    Free Member

Main MTB has either Hope pedals or SPDs depending on what I’m doing. Fat bike has the plastic DMR pedals (V5?) as I’ll be using it in Lapland in rather cold weather so an attempt not to have a cold sink attached to my boots!

legend
    Free Member

andybrad – Member
    got some. good but not great.

This. They are made slightly better by removing the pins from the middle of the pedal but they are still decidedly average. SS Nanos are better

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a couple of pairs and really like them. They offer the perfect amount of grip for me in any shoes / trainers. I have had other pedals that are far too grippy and don’t allow any foot movement which I find is more of a problem than too little grip.
    One pair of mine are nearly 3 years old and the other pair is nearly 2 years old and both still run as smooth as the day I bought them despite being used in any weather.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Do the Hopes do anything that Saints don’t?

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    legend
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member

They aren’t great but they’re still better than Saints in every way

warpcow
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member

Like not grind their bushes and bearings to dust and offer a platform larger than a kid’s size 10? Yeah, they do that. In fact, I think pretty much every pedal apart from Saint does those things too.

alexxx
    Free Member

Not sure what Saints weight now but they were bulky and heavy. I like a low profile pedal and have had the superstar mag somethings with a ti axle for 2-3 years but bent the axle the other month and got some hopes second hand for £50. They are decent, big platform and look well made / bearings are smooth after what looks like a fair amount of abuse (most of the anodising has come off).

I really really liked my superstars, they were slightly nicer than the nanos and weighed bugger all.. gutted I couldn’t find a spare axle to be honest..

The hopes are good but imo not worth £130.. they are only worth that if you smack pedals all the time and want a big box of easy to find spares.

I don’t find them “less grippy” they feel pretty planted with five tens and like has been said if the middle pins are removed your foot sits in them more.. they could probably do with being a little concave.

They’ll work out cheaper than my superstars did in the long run as I can get spare axles ect..

legend
    Free Member

but then if you run normal Superstars a spare axle is a fiver (or something silly cheap like that)

thegman67

Managed to get the Hopes for £89.99 from Wiggle

fourbanger
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Saints? I have an old pair and seem indestructible, if a bit bulky as mentioned.
    Over 600 5* reviews on CRC.
    Do they have a problem with bearings?

alexxx
    Free Member

They were normal superstars until they stopped making them…

roverpig

If you have to ask then, no, they are not for you. You buy Hope pedals because you want to buy Hope pedals. At least that’s why I bought mine 🙂

honourablegeorge

fourbanger – Member

Saints are pretty crap, superstar and/or the various copies are much better for that budget

Hopes are very well made, but not massivey grippy or well shaped.

richardkennerley

Are they better than DMR Vaults?

mintimperial

I really like the Hopes. I’ve been through quite a lot of flat pedals in the past few years. Off the top of my head: Nukeproof Proton, Superstar Nano, Nukeproof Neutron, Superstar Delta, DMR Vaults, Crank Bros Stamps, DMR V8s, Wellgo something or others, some terrifying spikey Straitline things, and various others on hire/demo bikes that didn’t inspire any strong feelings. The Hopes are definitely the best I’ve used (and they weren’t the most expensive either). Very grippy, very comfortable, a rock solid design and incredibly well put together.

But pedals are a very personal thing – what’s better for one person doesn’t mean it’s definitely better for another. For example I find that I only really get on with pedals that have pins towards the centre of the platform, the more normal design with pins round the edge just don’t seem to work for my feet for some reason. The F20s are the best pins-in-the-middle pedals I’ve encountered so far, but if you get on fine with normal Nanos or Vaults or something like that, then there’s no need to get all fancy and splash out on the Hopes.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Hope pedals’ is closed to new replies.