Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope (pawl) springs eternal?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Or not.

Is it just me, or are these by far the weakest link in the hope rear hub?

A disappointingly poor sub-component in an otherwise excellent package. I’m told by wizened old timers I ride with that they used to use tiny coil springs, but ditched them in favour of these brittle leaf springs.

Hey oh, my hub was sounding quiet, no wonder as it was only running on two pawls, but at least it will still work until the new ones show up.

somouk
    Free Member

Yeah, the old Hope XC I serviced once had the mini springs in and lasted really well, I suspect my Pro 2 evo is now suffering though as it is getting quieter!

sbd16v
    Free Member

There 3 quid a set delivered, every now and then need replacing lol.

mintimperial

I’ve had to replace mine twice in four years, which compared with the rest of the hub is a bit rubbish, yes, but is actually pretty good in real terms. I just think of them as consumables that need replacing every so often, like brake pads, chains, etc. They’re only a couple of quid off of eBay.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes, I suppose we are into the realms of first world problems!

stoney
    Free Member

At least your hubshell has`nt cracked yet 😉

Garry_Lager

stoney – Member

At least your hubshell has`nt cracked yet Just got in to find a fedex package from hope – replacement freehub for the cracked one I sent back on tuesday. That I bought new from someone else, and rode the bollox off for 2 and a half years. Springs break and freehubs may crack, but Hope are an impressive outfit who stand behind their product.

stoney
    Free Member

They are indeed, their stuff is Ace and i`ve allways used their brakes….My mate has a really good story of them fixing his vision 4…. 🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

Funny, when I first moved over from bulb hubs to pro ii, I heard about people breaking pawl springs so I bought so spacer to make sure I never got caught out. Guess what, 4 pairs of pro hi/evo in the house and not a single pawl failure in all that time (plenty of cracked freehubs though. Now I ask for the steel one instead).

somafunk

My original Hope TI hub from 1994 cracked the nearside spoke flange 4 odd years ago, not bad going for a hub that saw 5 rims and over 70,000 miles but i emailed Hope explaining the problem and they sent me out a brand new identical Ti hub/Ti freewheel for free, that’s why i still buy/use Hope hubs, same thing with Middleburn cranks, had one failure on the same above bike build and Middleburn sent me a brand new set of identical cranks free of charge.

kcal

I still have one of the bulb XC free hubs. Think I have a spare as well – steel / alloy.

stoney
    Free Member

Ok, said story goes like this….

As is the norm, post ride beers and ride home. We leave the pub and my mate just catches the kirb and falls off, his light catching the kirb and “broke”. He later tells us that he “tried” to sort it when he got home and totally wrecked it. 🙄
    Sent it off to Hope with a letter describing exactly what had happened (being a little pissed ect) and guess what???

They sent it back all fixed FOC ! 😀

Northwind

Normal Hope- slightly substandard products but absolutely first class support. Better than the other way round, probably. They sent me a bag of extra pawl springs after I grumped at them, but mine has 2 cut down cable ties in it currently to replace springs that broke last year in the alps and they’ve lasted better than the metal springs.

akak
    Free Member

Iirc they updated the design last year to make them last longer. The new ones are less wide?

cookeaa

Or narrower…

Still using an old bulb, pawls and springs are still available, one of mine has been clicking around happily on a trimmed down spring from a clicky pen for a couple of years, not really sure why they changed the spring design at all…

dannyh
    Free Member

mine has 2 cut down cable ties in it currently to replace springs that broke last year in the alps and they’ve lasted better than the metal springs.

That’s my kind of bodge!

Note to self to try this one. I assume they are smallish zipties that you have wrapped tightly into the cylindrical recess and left the end to poke out, just like the leaf spring(?) This might be a better bet than the metal leaf springs as they won’t corrode or become brittle in very cold conditions.

nosedive
    Free Member

the old coil springs occasionally get loose and can damage the ratchet ring. the new design is much better. i think some of the batches of leaf springs were bad. i had one hub thay broke all 4 in.6 months and another that is still on the original ones after about 5 years

carlos
    Free Member

Dannyh – you don’t wrap them up that’d be impossible

See here – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-zip-tie-replacement-of-pro-2-springs-pictures-included

dannyh
    Free Member

Dannyh – you don’t wrap them up that’d be impossible

The light has come on!

Cheers for the link. My hub is currently running on two pawls, should be ok for a couple more local rides until the new bits arrive. When they ‘go’ I might consider this bodge and see how long they last…….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope (pawl) springs eternal?’ is closed to new replies.