Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Hope or Shimano Hubs?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

I’ve always had Shimano hubs, but the idea of being able to do 1000s of miles without having to look at my hubs like somebody I know with Hope hubs can do is seeming appealing.

Can you at all adjust the play on Hope hubs or do you need to replace the sealed bearings straight away, and are they easy to service, and reliable in use?

I seem to remember readsing on here about a cracked Hope freehub body. I’ve not had any problems with Shimano hubs.

What’s making me think about changing is the problems some people seem to have with bolt through Shimano hubs, regarding adjusting them. I’d half an idea about buying some ceramic bearings and having super spinning Shimano hubs for my new Cotic Soul.

Thoughts please…

Tim

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve always had Shimano hubs, but the idea of being able to do 1000s of miles without having to look at my hubs like somebody I know with Hope hubs can do is seeming appealing.

YMMV.

Can you at all adjust the play on Hope hubs or do you need to replace the sealed bearings straight away…

It’s fairly binary.

…and are they easy to service…

Yes.

I seem to remember readsing on here about a cracked Hope freehub body. I’ve not had any problems with Shimano hubs.

If it does happen at least you will get it replaced.

Thoughts please…

See above.

Tim

Jamie

TimothyD
    Free Member

What does YMMV mean, and what’s ment by it’s fairly binary?

somouk
    Free Member

My Hope XC’s that I had off here have been going strong for some time now with no maintenance. I took the free hub body off, cleaned it out and re-greased it the other day but that was just because I was bored and had cleaned everything else 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

I take it binary means you can’t adjust the play in them?

Jamie
    Free Member

What does YMMV mean, and what’s ment by it’s fairly binary?

Your mileage may vary and they either work or the bearings need replacing. Whereas with Shimano hubs, you can adjust them into working properly….most of the time.

bruneep

😀 @ Jamie

jimc101
    Free Member

YMMV – Your Mileage May Vary (I had to google that)

fairly binary – basic?

For hubs, never had a Hope hub, but from other Hope products, there warranty is great.

Shimano, still trying to kill an M737 rear from 1996, never serviced, used in all conditions, still working as good as the day I got it, never had any issues with other Shimano hubs, either.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

fairly binary – basic?

Binary is “on/off” or a 1 or a 0. They are either smooth and work fine or they need replaced. You cant clean them out and tighten them up or loosen them off like you can with Shimano hubs.

Hope hubs are awesome, I will never use shimano hubs again (infact I havent done for years)

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve had Shimano hubs on the FS and the HT bike, both of which didn’t last very long.

The HT now has Hope hubs which have been on for 12 months now without a hint of trouble.

Also, remember back to those days when you tied a piece of plastic to your frame to make a loud clicking noise…. Hope hubs are like having one of those again 😀

Easton rims and hubs on the FS now. Bearings last on average 3 months… bag of shite 👿 !

Matt24k
    Free Member

Had Shimano XT hubs, got fed up with cleaning, greasing and adjusting them. Switched to Hope Pro II and only ever had to change the freehub pawl springs at 75p each. The sealing on the Hopes is fantastic and they just roll forever.
    When the Hopes need new bearings there are how to videos and you can even give them a telephone call if you have problems.

Reluctant
    Free Member

The same wheels on my Number One bike since 2003. Changed the rear bearings twice, the front ones once; clean out the freehub maybe once a year. Awesome fit-n-forgetable-ness;- Hope XCs. 😀

Used to get through Shimano hub bearings pretty quickly and freehub bodies on an annual basis 😕

69er
    Free Member

I gave up on shi*mano hubs after replacing many freehub bodies and as many drive side cones and bearings. Yes you can strip them down (ish) but the seealing is poor.

Hope for me now, sensible prices, awesome customer service and they are simple to service. Bearings go now and again, knock them out, knock some more in. No-brainer.

FOG

Have XT hubs on 2 bikes for three years with minimal maintenance required at no cost. The LX hubs on my previous bike are still going strong with their new owner after 7 years. Cup and cone are fiddly but you don’t need to do it very often.

69er
    Free Member

I’m out riding in a minute, reckon it would kill a shi*mano rear hub tonight…

Northwind

Shimano hubs went terrible a couple of years back. Haven’t used any recently but I assume from the relative lack of pissing and moaning on the internet that they must have improved.

(my Exages are I think 19 years old? Still smoother and faster than a brand new Pro 2)

Pro 2 servicing is very, very easy if you can operate a hammer. The tools that Hope sell are very expensive and unneccesary, all you actually need is 2 suitably sized sockets, which you might already have but if not will cost you around a fiver. Somewhere in the vicinity of 22mm, one short and one deep.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There are 10 types of people in the world…

Bazz

As with anything there are pro’s and con’s.

Shimano hubs are quiet easy and cheap to service and not as expensive as Hope but are a bit heavier (Except perhaps XTR).

Hope hubs are noisy also easy to service although the sealed bearings probably cost a bit more, a bit more expensive than Shimano and lighter.

I have various sets of wheels with Shimano hubs and can now service one in less than half an hour, i would also have Hope hubs again in a heart beat.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends on what you want I like hope at the front as they can have QR or maxle on the same hub – can you with XT yet?

Never really had to service eiether yet – replaced bearings on the Hope once

My XT are on my winter SS and see far worse weather than the Hope and I have not touched them [ once had to nip up the front hub] and it is a quiet freehub

Not much difference tbh IME YMMV but my road ones have done thousands and thousands of miles on cup and cone in all weathers

dan1980
    Free Member

There does seem to be a lot of reports of hope hubs failing, which would put me off buying one.

Although they apparently have great customer service, I’d rather have a piece of kit that functions as it should, and doesn’t break.

Have you had a look at DTSwiss hubs, or even (dare I say it) Superstar?

I appreciate that I’m probably going to get flamed for criticizing Hope, as it seems that simply because they ‘re a British manufacturer, that charges slightly more than the competition, they deserve cult like reverence. But hey ho it’s just my thoughts on the matter, and I’m entitled to my opinion, regardless of how wrong you think it is :mrgreen:

burmaboy
    Free Member

hope = fit and forget + throw away ur cone spanners 😆
    Shimano = fettling forever

However if you hate loud buzzing noises constantly chasing you down a trail and the only way to out run it is to pedal faster Id try some other sealed bearing manufacturer.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the ones that cracked were all from a certain batch from ages ago, so those issues have been sorted.

As for this:

they ‘re a British manufacturer, that charges slightly more than the competition, they deserve cult like reverence.

Do they charge more than the competition? They’re more expensive than Shimano etc. but much cheaper than Chris King or DT etc.

I think they’re about right.

I think they deserve all the praise they get, they stand by their products, and if something breaks then they sort it with no issue. How a company should be run.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Hope hubs for me. Had my last ones for 3 years and never changed bearings or had problems. I cleaned them out once and replaced the pawl springs but more because I was bored than anything else as they didn’t need doing. Plus as others have said, if you have any issues with any of their products their customer service is legendary!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hopes only in my shed!

chickenman

Only ever used 1 type of Shimano hub, a 525: The bearings were not set up correctly from new and no matter how tight you did up the locknuts they always worked loose!
    Hope Pro2 been great IME!

fenlanddavid
    Free Member

I have always ridden with Hope hubs right from my trials days till now, I have never broken one. The amount of stick I gave my bikes/components I broke 3 frames in one year once, and still my Hopes kept spinning……… 🙂

Northwind

davidtaylforth – Member

I think the ones that cracked were all from a certain batch from ages ago, so those issues have been sorted.

Nah, myth unfortunately- I’ve seen a new Evo crack just the same way. It’s not like it’s a major issue but it’s definately not limited to just one batch or old hubs.

sambob
    Free Member

Superstar would be an okay cheap alternative, as the bearings can be replaced with good quality alternatives.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve had yeras of use from some old Hope XC that never needed touching. The mountain bike has some early Hope Pro II that have only had a bit of grease applied to the rear. They really are fit and forget. I had some SLX hubs that I constantly needed to fettle with the cone spanners. It’s just not worth the hassle.

My commuter has some Novatec hubs that are heavy but run on cartridge bearings. I probably should have specced Hopes when I got the wheels built, but these were a real budget option, and I was determined not to have cup and cone ones on there. They’re nearly 3,000 miles old – used in all weathers – and are smooth as they were when new.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

hope all the way, would’nt go back to shimano. both mine are at least 3 or 4 years old, zero maintenance or probs… and if/when they do need some work i can get whatever i need easily and quickly.

love that hope ‘CLICK’!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The pro 2 does have slightly undersized bearings especially in the rear – and five of ’em Not cheap. Some folk ( like me ) get huge life out of ’em – others kill bearings. dunno why. There is also an issue if yo use a maxle light rear

However – I far prefer hopes having used shimano as well – and as well as cartridge bearings I like being able to service the freehub – and the whole hub assembly on is well engineered and you can use different axle standards with the same hub.

daveob
    Free Member

3 bikes, 3 sets of Hope wheels.

Only problem I had was a cracked flange on a 2 1/2 year old wheel. I called them and it was replaced without quibble! Can’t ask for better than that!

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you want value and can cope with maintenance, shimano is the clear choice.

smoothchicken

Had Hope Pro IIs for 3 years, no fettling required yet and no problems. Previously had Shimano hubs, PIA if you ask me, constantly needed fettling, can’t be arsed with that anymore when you can be sweating about head angles and BB heights!!

Bazz

I honestly don’t get people saying that Shimano need constant fettling, i have four sets of wheels with shimano hubs and i clean and re grease the bearings once every 18 months to two years depending on use and thats it nothing else. What do people do to them?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Only problem I had was a cracked flange on a 2 1/2 year old wheel. I called them and it was replaced without quibble! Can’t ask for better than that!

How about it not cracking after 2 1/2 years?
    I also dont understand why people have this problem with Shimano as i would describe them both as fit and forget.
    I would assume my shimano ones get the worse weather – road bike used all year round and a winter SS

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Hope or Shimano Hubs?’ is closed to new replies.