• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hope or DT Swiss
  • dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Got a birthday coming up and my wife has said I can spec a new rear wheel around £200.

Hope Pro4 with Enduro rim is coming in at £216

DT Swiss 350 with DT E512 rim from Superstar at £214.

Which would you buy and why?

zero-cool
    Free Member

Hope for the win.

Although DT Swiss are decent wheels I’d go for Hope every time. Strong reliable and the best after sales care and support I’ve ever experienced.

Tom KP

rickon
    Free Member

Probably neither. There are better options

The Enduro rim is narrow and heavy. Superstar… Well, it’s superstar.

Ex471 on either Hope or DT 350, or Easton arc27 or arc30, or the brand new Stans Flow or Arch rim – both are superb.

If you ride trail, then the arch is excellent, if you ride DH or DH trails then the 2016 Flow rim is hard to beat.

The DT350 is a great hub, but has a low pickup out of the box, which doesn’t *really* matter, the Hope pro4 and pro2 evo 44t have a good pickup, but are very slightly more draggy seals.

Personally, I think it comes down to… How loud to you like your hub? Noisy? Get it Hope. Less noisy? Get the DT. If it was between the Hope and dt240, it’d be the DT obviously.

Get yourself a good wheel builder, like moonglu, and get a decent rim on either hub.

eshershore
    Free Member

DT Swiss 350 for me.

Had loads of hope hubs over the years, and worked on loads for customers. Hope have excellent customer service, which is good because I’ve had to use it many times.

The DT are understated and somewhat boring, but seem to work, and keep on working with minimal fuss. 240 are nice but the 350 gave most of the benefits at a much lower price.

sillyoldman

What ES says.

chorlton
    Free Member

Expecting a Hope 4 xc front wheel next week. Initially I was after Hope Hoops with something like Stan’s Arch rims before finding out about Hope having there own now.
    No experience with DT hubs, just there rims.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Dt hub every time now that the cheaper ones are star ratchet like the 240

eshershore
    Free Member

@chorlton

DT’s ratchet drive internals are used / licensed by a good number of other wheel / hub manufacturers, because they are so well designed and manufactured

this is my TCR SL with Giant’s in-house deep section wheels, the hubs have DT 240 internals which makes them super easy to service once in a while, with any DT spare parts readily available

stevied
    Free Member

Had a few runs on my new wheels now and they are very good. Went for DT 350 on EX471’s. Previously had Hope on Flows and these are lighter, wider and stronger.
    Takes a while to get used to the silence of the DT hub..action bikes in Germany have some great deals on DT hub builds

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Bit more food for thought fellas.

Stevied, thanks for the heads up for actionsports.

Northwind

zero cool – Member

the best after sales care and support I’ve ever experienced.

More telling is the fact that you’ll find it hard to find anyone who’s needed to experience DT support for these hubs.

But I’m leaning towards neither, too. Superstar can build a great wheel, but they can also build a shite one. The Hope packages have gone way downhill since they stopped doing Stans, they used to be outrageous value but they don’t feel that way now. And at the same time DT have stopped being absurdly expensive.

chorlton
    Free Member

To be honest I’ve only had experience with the old Hope XC hubs. I must have had them on the bike 8 years and they were superb. I think I changed the bearings myself once or twice in that time and were still going strong when the bike got nicked.
    It was my only bike as well which was used a lot, all year round in filthy Pennine, Welsh, Lakes and Scottish conditions.
    So for those reasons I decided on new Hopes.
    Although if you saw the wheels currently on my Soul, owt would be better. 🙂

dufusdip
    Free Member

Prefer not to have a deafening noise while freewheeling and would go DT Swiss. Rachet hubs capable of upgrade to have even more engagement and are really quiet.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Can’t help but wonder if Hope are a victim of their own success…

DT hubs are great, but they need a special tool to replace one of the bearings AND axle conversion kits are nowhere near as readily available and cheap as hope ones.

Hope hubs are also great, but because they’re great, everyone has them and they lose their exclusivity and hence desirability…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Hope pro4 and pro2 evo 44t have a good pickup

Pedant alert 😀 Pro2 were 24 then 40 tooth. Only Pro4 have the 44t.

I don’t mind the hope sound, don’t love it either though. Building Pro4s this week, hoping they sound cool.

DT very tempting for my next build though.

Northwind

There’s a 54 tooth upgrade for the DTs btw, if you’re into the pickup arms race. But it’s quite expensive, I don’t think many people care enough. But if you’re playing top trumps…

jivehoneyjive – Member

DT hubs are great, but they need a special tool to replace one of the bearings

Yup, but that bearing’s very well protected so it lasts a veeery long time. With the 240, all the bearings except the brakeside rear outlast Hope by at least 2 to 1 ime but that central one, maybe 6:1? Maybe more (I think the 350 may use a lower quality bearing as standard btw) A lot of people will never ride far enough to have to do it I reckon.

Buuuut, yes it is an absolute pain in the cock to change. As much of a pain in the cock as changing all your Hope bearings 5 or 6 times? Different pain I think. Hope is more of a burning sensation while urinating, it’s not terrible but it happens a lot. DT is like catching yourself in the zip- bloody awful but it might never happen, and if it does, you can get a professional to take care of it.

Ironically, it’s harder to do specifically because the bearing lasts forever- by the time you want to get it out, the ratchet can be pretty stuck.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I’ve had Hope hubs that have run for many years on the original bearings. Got one that may well be heading for 20 years old. DT are excellent hubs but no better in terms of quality. Plus they need the special tool to service them as mentioned above. Hopes can be fettled using basic tools. Both can be fitted with ceramic bearings if you want to spend the extra. Hopes come in a range of colours. I would happily use either over more expensive hubs such as Chris King (overpriced in my opinion, and nowhere near as faultless as some claim), Tune (excellent but very expensive), and a few other brands.

“There’s a 54 tooth upgrade for the DTs btw”

It makes the DTs a lot more expensive than the Hopes, for no genuine performance advantage.

Northwind

clodhopper – Member

for no genuine performance advantage.

Yup. But it’s a bigger difference than 36 to 44 which people keep quoting as an advantage for Hope. I have the 36s in 2 of mine, the 16 in the third, and my pro 2s were 24, and all were absolutely fine tbh

Like I say, it’s just top trumps.

chorlton
    Free Member

Anyway. My new Hope XCs will have their first proper outing in this coming weekends Dyfi Enduro, so I’ll let you know how I/they get on. 🙂
    Just wish I could have the rear wheel in time.

orangeboy
    Free Member

A slight side step , AC hubs are well priced light and build a nice stuff rear wheel.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve just had some Hope Pro 4’s built up on Easton ARC 30 rims. Yet to ride them, but the ARC rims give the tyres a nice chunky profile and set up tubeless without too much issue. The Pro 4’s seem nice enough although the freehub is bloody loud.

I was previously running DT M1700 Spine Two wheels which were good – easy to pull apart when needed, really easy to set up tubeless and ten rims didn’t ding.

I’m only on the Pro 4’s as my bikes got knicked – I’d have bought another set of ST wheels but they were more expensive (the set of DT’s I had were super cheap from Rose).

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

You can quieten the hope hubs with a little more grease around the pawls – not too much though, or they’ll struggle to engage through the gloop.

epicyclo

Hope.

They’re British and they’re good.

cokie

Hope Pro4. I’ve ridden Pro2’s for years and love them. The seal on the Pro4 seems to be much more robust, the pickup is nice and the quality is superb. Easy to service and change axles, with great CS.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hope or DT Swiss’ is closed to new replies.