Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope Mono Minis vs Shimano SLX – Advice needed!
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Thinking of upgrading from my juicy 5's to these (or anything around the 100 mark second hand)

Can anybody enlighten me as to the pro's and con's of each. And which is better, if either??

Thanks,
    James

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hopes – fully rebuildable and back up second to none. Some folk find them fiddly to set up and unreliable. Mine have not been – 4 sets bought secondhand. Use Dot fluid which absorbs water and is nasty stuff.

Shimino just do what they say on the tin. spares hard / impossible to buy – if / when they fail its replacement time. Many folk find them very reliable. Uses mineral oil

Secondhand I would always go for the hopes due to spares back up – however at that price you can get new shimanos

mikertroid
    Free Member

I agree with T-J's comments about Hope having good spares setup.

I'm lucky enough to use Hope X2s, which are fantastic but I do get a bit of fade no and again. I also have used the old 4-pot XTs (which were peerless) and also have a set on new SLXs on another bike. The SLXs needed a re-bleed from new but are very nice indeed.

Mineral fluid is the way ahead IMHO.

Leku
    Free Member

Arn't the new deore M595 brakes meant to be better than the SLX ones? £55 each….

jimmy

never actually owned shimano discs, but they do feel dam good on other people's bikes. For the money I'd say no contest. Couldn't comment on modern Hopes – been years since I had em.

rootes1

yep shimano spares and issues, but not really an issue as they seem not to need constant repairs and attention..

Rockplough
    Free Member

I've had SLX for maybe 18 months. They've been great and I've never had to look at them. I've ridden Hopes and they've been good but I've not had to live with them. A mate has just switched from Hope X2 to Shimano Saint and says he'd never go back, if that helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope Mono Minis vs Shimano SLX – Advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.