Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • hope mono minis – piston stuck
  • trickpsyclist
    Free Member

What with all the cold weather and salt on the road, my hope mini’s piston has seized. How easy are they to replace? Rather hastily i have just ordered some new pistons from crc expecting the job to be striaght-forward! is it?

Frankers
    Free Member

Sticking pistons on Mono Minis is a common problem that can be sorted with Silicone grease, available of ebay from divers shops

lipseal
    Free Member

Seal kit would have been better option.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Simple – is it mono minis? You really need the bore cap tool to replace seals and / or pistons

However there is a good chance that you don’t even need to strip the caliper. Caliper off bike, pads out,hold in the moving piston and pump brake until stuck one starts to move – I find a cone spnner in the slot in the caliper works well to hold the piston. Clean around the piston once p[art way out, Brake fluid or rubber grease over the piston , work it in and out a few times.

Leku
    Free Member

How to here

I have just sent mine back to Hope for servicing. £40 which includes new pads.

balfa
    Free Member

I’d second Leku. Unless you like faff send them back to Hope and they’ll come back like new. Usually a super quick turnaround too.

Babyjack
    Free Member

Same as tandemjeremy. I gently clamped the moving piston, then pumped the seized one out. Greased, then pushed back in. it took about 10 mins.

nosedive
    Free Member

ive got to do this on my avids this week after advice on this forum last week. I wish I had the option of sending them back to hope!

richmtb

Yeah its not a hard job, just a bit of a faff. Just follow TJ advice and clean the stuck piston

I’ve got to do the exact same with one of my M4 Calipers

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I know it sounds kind of obvious, but don’t just clean/lube the piston that is/was sticking. Putting something in the rotor slot, like a washer as shown in my overhaul guide that Leku linked, will allow you to fully extend both pistons.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘hope mono minis – piston stuck’ is closed to new replies.