Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope mini’s sticky piston
  • mosschops
    Free Member

Hacked off as have just had a reba fitted by LBS but sadly they didn’t have time to fix the breaks. Anyway my fault as I know it was a tad temperamental. Question is there anything I can do at home to free it up? It’s borderline unridable (wheel turns maybe one rotation before sticking)

Also when it take it in should I ask/assume seals will be replaced when its stripped down

ta

MC

MinishMan
    Free Member

had the same problem myself when I bought a bike second hand.

A few websites / forums say pump them out and spray qt85, but then some say this contaminates the DOT. I just got the pistons out, cleaned with IPA, actually replaced the rear ones with new phenolic as they are only a fiver from CRC and they were in bad nick, and rebled. Took ages becuase I was new to hydrualic discs, but they work beautifully well now…

mosschops
    Free Member

What are phenolic – different brand of piston – sorry if this is a daft question!

XC_PK
    Free Member

Phenolic pistons are a plastic not Metal ones like you have atm. I have a spare set of phenolic pistons and caliper seals if you are interested.

mosschops
    Free Member

May be interested – guess they are new and would be for any version of mini? (mine are 5 -6 years old)

How much were you thinking?

thanks

MC

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take the pads out and pump the lever a little bit gently to push the pistons out. You may find one moves more easily – hold it in and pull the lever again to get the other one to move. Clean the exposed part of the piston and lube – some folk use brake fluid – I use silicone / rubber grease. Push piston back in and refit pads – this might work if the piston is not in too bad shape. You can work the piston in and out a few times

Otherwise its a case of removing the pistons completely and cleaning them up – if you do this you might get away without new seals but I wouldn’t do it without new seals to hand as seals are cheap and there is a good chance you will damage the seals.

Don’t use GT85 or similar to lube the pistons – it might contaminate the seals and make them either swell or leak.

mosschops
    Free Member

cheers TD but PK_XC sorted me out with some new pistons.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope mini’s sticky piston’ is closed to new replies.