Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope M4 pistons sticking
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

One of the pads its wearing down twice as fast as the one at the other side of the caliper

The two pistons on one side of the caliper come out a long time before the pistons on the other side, also when the brake lever is not pulled one side of the pistons are flush with the side of the caliper but the other side are 2 to 3 mm out of the caliper

Whats the best way to clean/free them up

I have worked the pistons in and out lots of times and put some silicone lube onto the pistons and i can tell that its a lot better but not been out on the bike to test it yet.

Is there anything else i could do ?

Cheers

Andy

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Strip them down, clean them and fit new seals.

http://www.sicklines.com/tech/howto/hopeminioverhaul/

Its a bit harder doing the M4 compared to the mini as once one of the pistons is out its a bugger popping the second one out, but it does work.

Seal kit from chainreaction for £4 or so

Good luck!

alanf
    Free Member

As ir_bandito, strip em down and give them a good clean

rickmeister

Strip and clean is the best way…. Do you have phenolic pistons (sort of black plastic), or aluminium ones that stick easier….? If they are aluminium, wiggle / chain reaction sells phenolic ones.

Also try pushing the pistons in, spray with brake cleaner. Then get your girlfriends/wifes toothbrush and brush around the pistons to get rid of old brake dust and crap. Then re-lube with silicon.

kevonakona
    Free Member

You'll need cocktail sticks to get the seals out and in without pinching and wrecking them.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Is the caliper set up correctly? As in the disc central in the caliper?
    Had a similiar problem with my Hope's the other day.Re adjusted them pulled the offending piston out,cleaned it and re-bled them.One side was still sticking! Swapped pads out and they were fine! Dohhh!
    Thanx Max

Andy-W
    Free Member

Cheers, they are the phenolic pistons and only had them sice April but in the peaks every weekend does chuck a load of crap up at them

Will double check they are all lined up ok and then see how i go this weekend,and then give them a strip down a new seals in the new year

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope M4 pistons sticking’ is closed to new replies.