Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope Lights – thoughts on bar mounts
  • simon1975

All my bikes have 25.4mm bars. Thinking of replacing one bar with something oversized. But I think it'll be a right pain to keep messing with the rubber inserts to move my light between bikes.

Anyone got any ideas? I could fabricate some bulges on the bikes with standard bars but that sounds pretty naff…

wombat

Have you tried contacting Hope to see if they can supply you with an extra clamp that you could put the smaller rubber inserts in?

simon1975

I thought of that, but the clamp screws into the light housing so that would also be hassle to swap out each time, as well as having the risk of stripping threads / rounding bolt heads.

wwaswas

you seem to have a number of choices;

1) new bars on all bikes so they're all the same again

2) multiple clamps

3) fiddle with one clamp

4) zip tie something to thinner bars to boost diameter

5) multiple head units.

I guess you just need to work out the cost/benefit of each option and decide which is the one for you?

wombat

Good point, I know you udes to be able to get a sort of extra bar mount which fits to the front of the o/s bars to allow the fixing of computer/lights/gps, I think Halfrauds had them, can't find them on the website now….might look a bit rubbish though

simon1975

Cheers it'll probably be your option 4 as long as I can set it up so it doesn't wobble about.

I'll try slipping on a bit of plastic piping, filling the void between it and bar with expanding foam, trim the foam off and then cover it all with black tape.

simon1975

Hmm this looks neat and would only add £5 to my bar budget:

matthew_h
    Free Member

I was in the same position but just wrapped a thin loop of gaffer tape around the thinner bar to make it up to the right diameter as the OS one. Job done

simon1975

Cheers Matthew I guess that the difference isn't huge between the two bars…

matthew_h
    Free Member

Nope, just a few laps and it's fine. If done neat enough it's not even that ugly and it holds the light well enough.

solar
    Free Member

I used an old rubber strip from another bike light, a tesco cheap one. Strapped it to the bar using tape and it worked fine.

hilldodger
    Free Member

strip of old inner tube wound round a few times and secured with a bit of black tape – saves getting tape gunge on the bars……

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hope Lights – thoughts on bar mounts’ is closed to new replies.