Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope jockey wheels and drivetrain noise.
  • andybrad

Ok i like a nice smooth running drive chain. Recently its got a little bit neglected and mucky and the chain was getting worn so ive just gone through and replaced the chain (xtr) chain rings (turbine) and rear cassette (xt) I thought all would be well but I’m still getting some noise from the hope jockey wheels.

So. looking at the bottom one it appears that its worn a little step where the chain sits. I’m surprised at this as they’ve not been on a year. Considering they are 30 quid a pop i had expected more from them tbh. Has anyone had any similar experiences of them? Am i being to concerned about the wear and should just leave them be? I’m thinking of swapping them out for something else but am unsure what the best options are. Never had any cause an issue before.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Boggo standard Shimano ones. Do the job. Don’t make any noise. Unfortunately arent available in pretty colours.

martinhutch

I have some, and while they haven’t shown any significant wear in a year, I’m not convinced they perform any better than XT.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

With the exception of their hubs, that sounds like every other Hope product then.

andybrad

so bin them or keep them?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d shove them on eBay. Someone else will fall for the shiney shiney…

In the meantime buy some Shimano ones and enjoy the silence 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

…its got a little bit neglected and mucky

there’s your clue 😉

I’ve used a set of Hope jockeys now for 18 months @ 400+ miles a month, 2 chains, 1 cassette replaced in that time.
    Only wear to the jockeys is loss of coloured anodising on the contact surfaces, still smooth, still run true.

Don’t overly clean my bike but drivetrain gets a wipe with oily rag after every ride and I don’t overlube so gunge doesn’t accumulate.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Clean ya chain ,dry it re-lube it ,as often as possible that way you’re prolonging the life of everything ,it’s nowt to do with it being Hope.

Ya can’t over maintain anyrhing!,& just cos it says Hope on it dosn’t mean you just fit & forget either !.

andybrad

it gets cleaned every week and lubed after and before every ride.

its with a new chain and running gear at the moment.

although im interested to hear what people use for a degreaser as its quite expensive every week and takes a lot to get it spotless.

reedspeed
    Free Member

I run hope jockeys on 2 bikes both with clutch mechs,in allsorts of conditions & maintain my chain & cassette etc & they’re mint !..

How olds you’re chain ?.

I use paraffin/kerosene to
    Clean the chain ,wipe the excess off ,blow it dry with an airline then lube it..

hilldodger
    Free Member

I use Finish Line wet/dry wax lube – I’ve found the “secret” is not to over lube, and just give the chain a wipe after a ride with a cloth which has a few drops of lube on it.

Degrease with white spirit in a ‘take away tin’ when a full service is done (maybe 4-5 times a year max)

Although my local trails a soft southern dirt, not that tough northern stuff 😉

andybrad

i use finish line, tried muc off and its too sticky.

chain replaced at 0.75 mark

with everything new (appart from the jockey wheels) it just feels rough

noltae
    Free Member

Another reason to stick with a single speed set up …
    Ridiculously smooth – Ridiculously efficient .

andybrad

yea doesn’t really work for me unless your on the road / smooth trail

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope jockey wheels and drivetrain noise.’ is closed to new replies.