Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hope hub Rant!!!!!
  • mentalalex
    Free Member

over the past two months three hope hubs had died on me and my dad, mine had 15 rides on it less then 300 miles and it is compltley wrecked, it needs a complete rebuild.

i thought hope hubs were ment to last for ages. i know another guy whom i ride with, whos hubs died.

are hope haveing bad batches atm. i have got another hub which i’m running on my single speed which has done over 1000 miles and not died yet. it mainly rides cannock so its doing well atm.

is anybody else having these problems.

druidh
    Free Member

Not me

* touch wood *

nasher
    Free Member

I have also found that hope hubs are not what they used to be.

ton

3rded by me.

what i want to know is how comes it is the big single bearing in the middle that always **** up on mine.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

hope bulbs were / are where it’s at. pro2’s I’ve not been anywhere near as impressed with.

MrNutt
    Free Member

my pro2’s on about a year and a half and still doing well 🙂

just out of interest, how do you wash your bikes? 😉

ton

with water..doh

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Just send them back to Hope and they’ll fix/replace them

ton

Just send them back to Hope and they’ll fix/replace them

freeloader, heh barnes…

mentalalex
    Free Member

i don’t really wash them, if I’m working on them I will take the wheels off and put them out of the way. put the bike on the stand and wash they frame down etc.

but generally washing them doesn’t really help them. i wait for the mud to dry and bush the mud of

MrNutt
    Free Member

can’t fault you with your washing technique Al 🙂

kinda666
    Free Member

Just get your Dad to buy you some more wheels Al! 😀

MikeWW
    Free Member

Dads running out of money fast kinda666 🙄

mentalalex
    Free Member

LOl Chris I think he’s bought a bit to much tbh, bit spoilt really 🙂

Chris dad is now just about single speed he bought be trek frame he is just waiting for some other bits

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I reckon the new Pro 2 hubs don’t last as well as the old XC ons, too. of 2 pairs in the garage, 3 wheels needed new bearings inside a year whilst my old XCs lasted 4+ on the rear and 5+ on the front (still going)

You wanna know why I think this is? Simple. XC bearing on the left (they only use one size) 2 Pro 2 bearings on the right. Not rocket science, is it?

ton

pp, that big bearing lasts no time at all on my wheel.

kinda666
    Free Member

There won’t be many gearies out with us soon then Al? 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Then just think how much less the little ones will last, Ton!
    🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Maybe Hope should revert back to the older design. Can’t see what was wrong with it, really. My XC hubs are 6 years old. I recently thought I’d better check the rear ratchet, pulled it apart, and nowt wrong with it. Cleaned it up a bit, stuck some fresh grease in- good as new. Ti freehub body doesn’t wear like the alloy ones seem to, either.

Are you listening, Hope? 🙄

retro83
    Free Member

My Pro 2s came out of the factory with lateral play in the bearings. Not best pleased to say the least.
    Having said that, the aftersales service was good.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

freeloader, heh barnes…

I and others I know have had Hope products fail – hubs, lights, headsets etc. In every case the item has been replaced or repaired without question, usually by return of post. I don’t feel we’ve taken advantage…

just out of interest, how do you wash your bikes? [;)

This is how I do mine:

Sandwich

And Simon’s warranty service flies out the window. 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And Simon’s warranty service flies out the window. [:lol:]

well, after that I wouldn’t claim for collapsed bearings – they last about 6 months with this treatment – but I’d send them back if they cracked or a spoke hole sheared

nickc

it mainly rides cannock

Given the grinding paste that was masquerading as trails at the weekend, I’m not surprised your hubs don’t last

mentalalex
    Free Member

but my other hub just gets ridden at Cannock and is fine atm, done over 1000 mile at Cannock in the grinding past.

my other one had 10 rides at Cannock 1 at Wales and some a local woods and it had new bearings in, fecked completely needs new bearings pawls and springs had disintegrated whilst tearing through one of the other bearing, Axle is gone as one of them seized. then the free hub fell of for some reason while i was putting it on my bouncer.

I was like “Dad is this ment to happen” he was like wtf

Al
    King of hammers

kinda666
    Free Member

Hammer time

mentalalex
    Free Member

LMAO

Nice one chris 😆

Daffy

I’ve also seen 3-4 Hope hub failures inside of 3 months, All have been repaired by Hope either under warranty or reasonably cheaply…..still they shouldn’t be failing like this, Crossmax’s just go on an on, CKs need a little more TLC, but again go on and on.

Hope XCs just used to last forever with NO TLC, that’s what made them better than CKs. Now it would seem that both require similar maintenance with CKs significantly outlasting the Hopes.

Shame really, I like Hope stuff.

mentalalex
    Free Member

i really like hope stuff to.

but my dad pays £100+ for a hub me/him expect to be low maintenance and to last a good couple of years, and we have been through 3 in the last two months.

to me hope only makes sense if it lasts, as I could get a deore hub fairly cheaply and they will require cones been tightening every once in a while, but they are a lot easier to change bearings clean them out re grease etc

so I’m going to get a new rear wheel built up with a deore hub, as it’s cheaper and i will see if it lasts more than two months.

hope seem to be losing it a bit if you
    know what I mean.

Daffy

Just buy some uprated bearings and fit em yourself, Hope hubs are easier to take apart than lego bricks. New bearings will cost you £10, cheaper than a rebuild and easier to service than Deore, much lighter too.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hope hub Rant!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.