Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope Hoops – Very tight end cap. normal?
  • mpermar
    Free Member

Hi there,

I’ve got a brand new pair of Hope Hoops fitted with an XD driver. I also bought a 12×142 conversion kit for the rear wheel. But I’m having a hard time to remove the end caps. The seem really really tight. Absolutely impossible for me to remove them by hand and I’m trying carefully with some pliers and some rubber to prevent scratches but so far I haven’t been able to remove them. The front wheel was super easy, just with the bare hands as I was expecting.

So I came to a point where I’m thinking I must be doing something obvious very wrong and wanted to ask you guys if anyone know what might it be. At least before trying to use the pliers in a rougher way. Here is a photo of the hub: http://imgur.com/PlLAVZj

Cheers
    Martin

alanf
    Free Member

I think there is an o ring that makes it really difficult to remove.
    I’ve used plastic tyre levers on Bulbs and XC hubs if there is an end flange to push against. Might not be an option for you though.
    I have known them to be a pain to get off though.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I had a used set of wheels – wouldn’t budge by hand…wrapped a cloth around the end caps and used a monkey wrench, came away.

cakefacesmallblock

On my old xc ones, I made a ‘noose’ from nylon string, which pulled tight into the recess around the end cap. Put the loose end of the string in the vice and pulled them off that way. No damage.

z1ppy

Molegrips & lots waggling is the answer :mrgreen:

LoCo
    Free Member

Can be a bit tight, used shaft clamps in a vice to remove mine to not damage them.

blairc70
    Free Member

I have found using a phillips screwdriver shaft ( close as you can to the size of the hole ) inserted with some side to side action usually works it loose.

Northwind

Twist them first

mpermar
    Free Member

Molegrips worked nicely. With one I used a cloth and with the other one well… had to be raw but I don’t plan to use the QR ends so it was ok.

Thank you all guys for the help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hoops – Very tight end cap. normal?’ is closed to new replies.