Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hope Hoops
  • mjsmke

After a lot of trouble with rubbish hubs and freehubs i’ve decided to treat myself to some new wheels.

Just ordered Hope Pro 2’s with Mavic 717’s from a LBS.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about hope hubs and i’ve been told the 717’s are great if your not a heavy rider.

andyl
    Free Member

I think you should have asked on here first before ordering 717s. Great rims for their time but definitely dated now due to the width. Not a problem if you don’t expect to go over 2.1″ (I have narrow 2.25″ nobby nics on) but personally I would have gone with a wider, tubeless ready rim.

At 14 stone 717s have been easily for Xc and trail centres on my C456 but I will get some new wheels soon to ride harder stuff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Agreed, crest or flow would have been worth considering.

mjsmke

I only run up to 2.1 tyres anyway. Probably wont even think about tubeless for a long time.

Ive been running 14 year old Mavic 517’s with no problems.

mjsmke

I though flows were all mountain rims?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The wife and I use them for everything. Not hugely different in weight from the mavicbut are wider and tubeless compatible.

mjsmke

So will the Mavics still be fine for mostly XC and light trail riding? Im only 11 stone.

The LBS said they would be fine.

euans2
    Free Member

As long as you’re not doing anything to extreme then I cant see any reason why the Mavics wouldn’t be fine

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the mavics. My opinion is that the flow is a better rim and that your lbs were a bit lazy not talking you through the options. Do they need to order them or did they just happen to have them in stock? Are they coming with pro II hubs or the newer pro II EVO?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mavics are fine. IF you want Stans rimsthen dont bother with the flow, get something lighter (Arch or Crest?)

mjsmke

Nothing wrong with the mavics. My opinion is that the flow is a better rim and that your lbs were a bit lazy not talking you through the options. Do they need to order them or did they just happen to have them in stock? Are they coming with pro II hubs or the newer pro II EVO?

They ordered them directly from Hope. I did say to them i dont ride big stuff but do mostly xc and trails.

And yes they come with the newer Pro II EVO’s

FOG

Nothing to do with suitability or anything pragmatic, but I have Arches on one bike and Mavics on the other with very similar use and age and the Stan’s look a lot better than the Mavics which are looking very scruffy and scratched.

juan
    Free Member

Best choice of rim. Forget about crest and all that crap, not up to the job. 717 will be fine with a bigger tyres. I use them with a pair of fat albert 2.4 and I had no problem whatsoever.

avdave2

So will the Mavics still be fine for mostly XC and light trail riding?

Mine are 6 years old and have never been trued, 2 years on road commuting and 4 years off road on a rigid bike. It’s all wheels on the ground xc riding and I’m only 60KG but they have been good. The rear still has a v-brake and the ceramic coating is still in pretty good condition. Not really relevant to you but it does give an indication of the quality.

jonnyrockymountain

I used to have 717 rims, but kept having to have them trued, so swapped to 719’s fantastic not a problem in 3 years and not needed to true once

mjsmke

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im only 11 stone and my 14 year old 517’s have never been trued.

I appreciate the stans rims are stronger and can take wider tyres but they sound more for all mountain riding. I do hit a few steps on trails fast but thats probably light xc to most of you.

njee20
    Free Member

So will the Mavics still be fine for mostly XC and light trail riding? Im only 11 stone.

The Mavics will be fine, but the Crests would also have been fine while weighing 70g less and IME less prone to denting.

wheelie

I have 517 ceramic Mavic + xt hubs that I have done 40 000 miles on. I built them years ago still perfect.

juan
    Free Member

I appreciate the stans rims are stronger

No they are not…

Northwind

Yes, they are. Comparing like for like at least- Arch Ex weighs just 5g more than the 717 and as well as being wider and tubeless ready is also considerably stronger.

There’s nothing wrong with the 717 of course and it’ll do the job the OP wants.

mjsmke

How do you think the 717’s compare to the much older 517’s which i currently have?

juan
    Free Member

Comparing like for like at least- Arch Ex weighs just 5g more than the 717 and as well as being wider and tubeless ready is also considerably stronger.

Maybe on a car park test, but not in real life.

Northwind

So you’ve compared the two then?

After 2 years of general use on a big full suss I’ve retired my Stans rims to my downhill bike, where they’re still going strong- so apparently they’re dead fragile and useless.

My 717s otoh were perfectly decent, apart from being very heavy for XC, and too narrow for anything else.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

The Mavics will be fine, but the Crests would also have been fine while weighing 70g less and IME less prone to denting.

Agree with njee20

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hoops’ is closed to new replies.