Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope Freehub
  • BigJohn

A riding buddy took his wheel into a LBS. It’s a Hope hub, not sure of the model, but its probably 3 to 4 years old.

There was a tiny bit of play in the rear and the LBS report that the frrehub was stuck on the hub, they can’t get it off without destroying it and a new freehub will cost £60.

However, he took it back without them fixing it, and last week he rode it, unfixed, and it seemed fine to me.

I’ve never serviced a Hope hub but I thought the freehubs just came off in your hand and they were fully serviceable. Does this diagnosis sound right, or is it a bike shop that doesn’t know what it’s doing?

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds unlikely but never say never.

parkesie
    Free Member

Cassette stuck to freehub more likely.
    can be a pita.

foxyrider
    Free Member

My view:

Bearings are likely on their way out. Freehub often gets stuck on, just needs freeing and you need a new set of bearings for £20 (or if you want to go cheaper) – doesn’t likely need a new hub!

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/hope-pro-ii-rear-hub-service.htm

Edit: cassettes get stuck at the smaller sprocket dig into the freehub body but that won’t mean the freehub body is stuck as you can take the lock ring off and pull off the sprockets one by one? Worst case you file down the spikes created in the freehub body as you take them off and you might need a new free hub body if its really bad?

xiphon
    Free Member

+1 on sounds unlikely.

All my hubs are hope, and they are the easiest things to work on in the world!

Just pull the drive-side end cap off, and pull!

Watch out the springs and pawls don’t go flying though!

foxyrider
    Free Member

All my hubs are hope, and they are the easiest things to work on in the world!

Yup I prove that rule 😉

BigJohn

He’s singlespeeding his hub. so you don’t even need to take the sprocket off to work on it.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have heard they can stick on the axle (usually the spacers / dustcaps). Careful use of some penetrating oil and then boiling water should help loosten it. If not they can be hammer, but be very careful.

Pieface

Could the freehub be stuck to the axle?

Unlikely to be anything that can’t be taken apart, but as Clubber has said, anything is possible.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope Freehub’ is closed to new replies.