Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope free hub
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

All my MTB’s have Hope hubs, my other bikes do not. Part of my enjoyment of rolling to the pub on one of my non MTB’s is the peace and quite experienced from any other type of hub.

I decided to put some more grease (finish line stuff) in the Hope free hub on my hard tail prior to a group ride on Wednesday just to quieten it down a bit.

It’s now totally silent, yet works perfectly well. Have I over packed it? Will it stop engaging completely half way around Swinley tomorrow and result in a long walk back to car?
    I don’t really want to carry a chain whip and can of WD40 and wotnot around with me tomorrow to flush it out.

I know this is a common tweak for people who find the Hope noise too much, just wondering if I will die or not as a result of my actions.

z1ppy

I reckon you can quieten Hope XC and Bulb hubs with enough grease (an entirely bizarre in my experience, after riding Pro II’s for a while), without issue* but the Pro II’s can struggle with too much grease IIRC.
    Anyways, it’s won’t be long before the click comes back, as it’s only a temporary fix, unless you keep topping it up 😛

*obviously you can take things too far…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks z1ppy,

I have done this to an older Hope XC hub years ago and it did quieten it down a bit but this is the first Pro II that I have done. I was just surprised how quiet it is now. Took it around the block last night just to prove to myself that it still worked.

As you say, I am sure the noise will return once things settle down in there.

br
    Free Member

Will it stop engaging completely half way around Swinley tomorrow and result in a long walk back to car?

Definately not. Nowhere in Swinley is a long walk back to the car 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

It can be if your sense of direction is as good as mine.

gardron
    Free Member

Type of grease makes a difference too – I’ve found Phil Wood stuff with a comparable amount to standard hope amounts is quieter than stock – also I find the new 40 point hubs quieter (but more buzzy)

eshershore
    Free Member

Hope just sorted me out with a steel free hub body after my 2 previous aluminium bodies were so badly gouged by ultegra cassettes on my road bike that cogs moved under load causing creaking and shifting issues. To be fair to Hope they replaced without quibbles about it.

Rebuilt the body using couple drops of ceramic lube as I normally do and noticed the steel body substantially quieter than aluminium body.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I put the springs in my pro 2 in upside down by mistake yesterday and it was nearly silent. Freehub span and engaged as it should. I don’t know if this is a tried and tested method so i can’t recommend this. Interested to know if this is actually a solution for people who want a quieter hub.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

I love the sound of the hope freehub. Comforting.

cakefacesmallblock

Did exactly as Z1ppy said. Partly through ignorance, although it performed perfectly, quietend my xc free hub to virtual silence and really missed it ! No need to fear all back to normal now ! The thing is well old now and just keeps on working. Winter Wyre gloop year in year out, it just hangs in there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope free hub’ is closed to new replies.