Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hope Floating rotors do yours ping and rattle?
  • postierich
    Free Member

2 different bikes one rattles even though the rotor bolts are secure flick it with your finger and it vibrates and the other just annoys me by just ping ing when jra aargh!!
    Both on the rear!

Hadge
    Free Member

The pinging is due to heat and there is movement on the pins as that’s why they “float”

Onzadog
    Free Member

The float on hope floating rotors should be radial only, not lateral. I’ve had the bobbins come loose occasionally. Send it back to hope and ask nicely to have it tightened. They turn it around really quickly. Oddly, of 8 floating rotors 8nly one has done it but it’s done it twice.

postierich
    Free Member

its not heat pinging just annoying pinging when I just start riding will contact hope Ta!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Send it back to hope and ask nicely to have it tightened. They turn it around really quickly

Funny that as when I contacted them with the same issue they said they couldn’t do anything about it.

Fixed them myself with a large fire poker, a socket to support the rear of rivet and big hammer.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I didn’t call, I just sent it back with a nice letter.

singlespeedstu

That only happens to mincers that drag the rear brake and over heat the rotor.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I didn’t call, I just sent it back with a nice letter.

I actually went through the trouble of Emailing them first, will be trying your approach in future.

😀

postierich
    Free Member

Guilty as charged!!

singlespeedstu

Lay off the rear brake and cultivate that hipsters beard into a kind of air brake. 😛

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

This, well that is what is causing mine in the past on an old set.

Northwind

Mine got rattly, I got them both replaced. They did it again, I sold them, replaced them with proper steel ones. They just add complication and problems, I don’t think they do anything useful tbf.

singlespeedstu

As a serious answer.
    I’ve had this happen on a couple of the 160 rotors but the 180’s seem to be a lot thicker where the rivits are and they’ve been fine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Actually, if memory serves, it was the wife’s 160 that did it.

TimothyD
    Free Member

What is ment to be the benefit of floating rotors?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The rotor, when hot, can expand radially without the warping that would be caused if the centre of the rotor was bolted to a fixed point like the hub.

Northwind

But well made steel rotors are highly resistant to warping too, and can be better at dissipating heat in the first place

Floaters are also often claimed to be light but they’re generally not- alu is lighter than steel, but there’s a lot more of it, plus the rivets/bobbins.

The real benefit is that they look cool.

senorj

Mine don’t rattle,but they make a racket when cooling..:-)
    They do look cool though…

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’m sure there was a descent sized thread recently about hope floating rotors which might provide some more info.

I’m interested to know if one of the benefits of floating rotors is that the aluminium spider helps isolate the hub (and bearings) from the heat at the braking surface. This is something I’ve believed is true but some googling of heat transfer properties of different materials suggests otherwise.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Who cares what the point is. They just look good.
    All mine ping when cooling but never had any rattle or come loose.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hope Floating rotors do yours ping and rattle?’ is closed to new replies.