Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • hope cranks
  • joeditch
    Free Member

anyone running hope cranks? are they worth the money? do they fit shimano bb’s and do they come with the install tools? and review or verdicts would be great thanks joe

mattbee

Wife has them. Need a 30mm bb, Hope do one. Hers came with all the tools needed to fit.
    Seem nice enough, not scuffed up yet and do the job they are supposed to. Look good in the typical Hope slightly chunky way.

honourablegeorge

They’re heavy compared to what you can get for the same money, was very surprised by the weight when I held a set in my hands.

They’re supposed to offer better clearance than the equivalent Shimano – Mojo talk about the 170 hope being the same length as a 165 Shimano – but that’s only the end of the crank, really, the pedals are int he same place.

Personally, I wouldn’t have them,. Aesthetics are nice, but other than that, they’re heavy, expensive, and don’t really do anything special. And the range of direct mount rings for them is very small, only Hope ones fit, whereas OneUp, Works, Absolute Black and m ore all do SRAM and Cinch (RaceFace) versions of their chainrings.

riklegge

I’ve got a set. As mattbee says, you need the dedicated BB but all the install tools come with the cranks. They aren’t the absolute lightest, but are not much heavier than equivalent offerings when you consider everything that’s included (some quoted weights don’t include eg ring or spider).

Quality is great, they have (so far) been smooth, solid and creak free, and clearance is good (I used to scuff up the ends of my cranks in some situations). As to whether they are worth it… it’s down to how much you want them! I got a set because they were cheap to upgrade to on my new bike, but equally I would be perfectly happy with XT or SLX.

joeditch
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, looking at them online they looked a little heavy for the price, and the chain ring situation is also a let down for them really, are hope turning into the apple of the bike world?! Think I’ll be sticking with my xt’s!!

mattbee

What do you mean by the chainring situation? Missus has a bog std 30t Superstar nw on hers.

otsdr
    Free Member

Direct mount / spiderless chainring situation 🙂 . There are plenty of options for the regular 104/64 spider, but a spiderless ring is lighter and looks better.

mattbee

Oh, I see. Hers came with the 4 hole spider and tbh she wanted them based on look more than anything else. It’s so rare she’s bothered about what a component looks like I just bought them for her!

honourablegeorge

640g for the arms & axle with spider, vs 540 for X01.

They look a hell of a lot nicer than X01, and I suspect they’re much more durable, but…..

mattbee

Still not ridiculously heavy though.
    Mind you I run RF Next SL which are a whole heap lighter than either of those!

honourablegeorge

Not sure on the spider – I was searching about trying to find fair comparisons, couldn’t see the Hopes weighed without spider.

mattbee

Sorry, I edited my post above about the spider. I thought the pic of the SRAM showed it without.

honourablegeorge

mattbee – Member
    Sorry, I edited my post above about the spider. I thought the pic of the SRAM showed it without.

It did, I got my pictures mixed up at first, put the wrong SRAM picture in

Dammit, now I need to edit this one.

joeditch
    Free Member

they dont fair too much then and tbh im not that much or a weight weeny! more about durability! yeah it was the whole direct mount chainring, i like that idea rather than a standard 4bolt 104pcd

godzilla
    Free Member

I have hope cranks, they look cool as, but are an utter pain in the arse to fit compared to Shimano.
    You need a special spanner expensive bb and if you have a problem with them you need a handful of tools and the manual, a bit of a faf really.
    Im a Hope fandoy too.

sharkattack

I’d have them on my DH bike, but then it hardly comes out and is subject to a spending ban.

Struggle to see why I’d replace the SLX on my hardtail. Guess I won’t be getting any.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘hope cranks’ is closed to new replies.