Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • hope coverter shims to fit truvativ crank set ?
  • bollard
    Free Member

Has anyone done this ?
    Or had trouble fitting etc ?
    My bike shop say it don’t work well and hope give no clues either ?
    Am i stuck with truvativ bb’s only (the chainset is stylo gxp)

trail_rat
    Free Member

it works fine ….. have done it on plenty customers rides

better than the truvativ bb that is for sure !

bollard
    Free Member

TRAIL RAT I AGREE BUT I’VE BEING INFORMED THAT THE SHIMS CAN CAUSE THE BB TO LOCK UP ?

WHICH SHOP DO YOU WORK OUT OF ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

cannot see how the shim would cause that knowing how they fit up.

Incorrect spacing of the bb would cause the bb to lock up but the shims press in from both sides of the Bearing and touch in the center so its no different to having it just on the bearing.

If anything the shim is an advantage as its commonly documented that the BB systems without the plastic tophats of Shimano and Raceface ie superpoop/enduro bearinged shimanos/hope when the BB seizes up and the bearings stop spinning the axel still rotates against the metal bearing collar and wear a groove into the axel writing off the cranks

work out of ABC in the east of scotland

Sancho
    Free Member

The shims work fine just be careful when fitting them, make sure they are pressed properly in.

not sure why the bike shop would tell you that, i havent had any bother with the ones Ive fitted to customers bikes.

bollard
    Free Member

Well it p***’d me off as you can imagine i wonder weather the mechanic is capable 😛 they advised that i stick with a truvativ team bb which i think i have already got in, it came with the chain set and its lasted 4 months 👿

julianwilson
    Free Member

you can also get enduro cartridge bearing replacements for gxp bb’s which you either press in yourself (soft face vice and big sockets) or post the cups to BETD who will do it for you. they aren’t on the betd website but they do stock them: you just need to phone them instead. Mine have been lovely and spinny for ages and for only £25. Yes if they seize the drive side on could wear the crank spindle (not the left side as it has a softer aluminium spacer/insert) but
    a) they will take three times as long to seize as truvativ ones,
    b) you can tell if its seized before you get to the end of the street.

bollard
    Free Member

Cheers Julian i have heard they do replacement bearings, however i’ve had trouble getting the crank off ! full stop hence why its going in the shop 🙄 what extractor do i need to use and have you had any issues with the bolt that holds it all together??? any help is appreciated 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

8mm allen key for the bolt, then octalink/isis fit crank puller does it for me. Then you need an external bb tool to remove the cups: beware the socket type ones as the ‘lifu’ one does not fit the left hand cup on gxp bb’s. Lots of grease on the bolt and splines when you do it back up again too. 40ish NM iirc, but it is etched on the plastic ring round the bolt anyway.

bollard
    Free Member

Julian you not had problems with the 16mm bolt that comes away as well ? i think its a silly design myself bring back square taper systems 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘hope coverter shims to fit truvativ crank set ?’ is closed to new replies.