Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope Ceramic BB – bearing numbers?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Just took the seal thing off my Hope BB and there's no BB number marked on the bearing – just Hope CB. Looking on CRC tells me I can buy replacement Hope ceramic bearings for £26.99 but I'm (kind of)sure they'll be a standard size and therefore much cheaper from one of the online bearing suppliers?

Anyone know if this is the case, if so what should I look for

votchy
    Free Member

Just out of interest, how long have the bearings lasted?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The std bearing no. for HTII steel bearings is 6805 2RS / 61805 2RS if that helps you?

trail_rat
    Free Member

does INA custom bearing on the center shell not give it away ?

MussEd
    Free Member

Votchy – bought the BB with the bearings already **** and the original owner feigning igonrance when I mentioned it! Took it on the chin as I got it for a bargain.

BigYin – I've got some 6805's SS in my box, think I'll just fire them in, till I can afford such frippery as ceramic balls.

MussEd
    Free Member

No Trail-rat it doesn't!? That's why I'm asking.

Del

6805s will not work. these are suitable for shimano bbs when used in conjunction with the 'top hat' bit which take up the 1.5mm of space all round the axle. they'll be like throwing a sausage down the high street. the enduro bearings from betd 'should' fit. be able to tell you for sure in a few weeks i expect.

younggeoff

6805 2rs bearing have a 25mm internal diameter, these work in Shimano BB's as a replacement as there's a plastic shim that reduces the diameter to 24mm. The hope bearings don't have this shim and the internal diameter of the bearing is 24mm. The Enduro bearing's as sold by BETD might do the job though.

sslowpace
    Free Member

MussEd, can you let us know how the bearings have been damaged?

And Trailrat is spot on, as the bearings are custom made for Hope by INA.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i was only quoting that off the ceramic hope sat on my desk !

MussEd
    Free Member

I don't know how they've been damaged – bought it off a chap. One is seized completely they other is graunchy as. He never mentioned this when we agreed a sale, and I never asked cos I was blinded by what I thought was a bargain! Lesson learned.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Is it worth soaking them in degreaser for 24hrs or so?
    I've has suspension bearings feel notchy/gritty and usually a clean and regrease will work.

MussEd
    Free Member

Ok so after soaking in degreaser, what to do rinse this off? As I'd have thought taking the hose to it would only force more moisture in there?

smoggy
    Free Member

Just out of interest on the BETD bearings website it says "outboard" bearings does this mean it's the same as the hollotech set up?

large418
    Free Member

It's not the moisture that is doing the damage, it is grit etc. A good rinse out and clean should (if the ceramic balls and race are undamaged) revive them somewhat. I am not sure if you oil ceramic bearings (I guess google to find out – there are all sorts of bearing data sheets out there)

fbk
    Free Member

Not sure about the bearing number but I know a review of a ceramic bearing BB (can't remember which one) in either MBR or WhatMTB last year, stated that the manufacturer had recommeneded nothing more that blasting water through the bearings to wash them out a couple of times a year. The bearings obviously don't rust and are hard enough that they can cope with a bit of grit in. Apparently!!

MussEd
    Free Member

Ok well they're soaking now, and the one that was seized came unstuck almost immediately. So an update will follow tomorrow…

smoggy
    Free Member

Just out of interest on the BETD bearings website it says "outboard" bearings does this mean it's the same as the hollotech set up?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope Ceramic BB – bearing numbers?’ is closed to new replies.