Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Hope carbon lovelyness!
  • andyl
    Free Member

Have we done this yet?
    http://www.hopetech.com/hb-211/

Onzadog
    Free Member

It does look nice. I wonder if they’ve just been waiting for the horst link patent to expire.

jam-bo

I doubt it, it was only a US patent anyway.

Bike looks nice though. Delivery in 2025?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Stunning. Shame its prototype only for now.

maxtorque

Can i be the first to get the Carbon Fibre Filling Cabinet joke in??

nope? ok then…… 😉

andyl
    Free Member

And everything built how they want it instead to any standard which tbh is probably just as good as someone trying to buy a bike that does conform to standards and at least you know what will fit as long as you stick to hope bits.

[Quote] Can i be the first to get the Carbon Fibre Filling Cabinet joke in??
    [/quote]

Can’t tell if serious and hasn’t realised the error…or not 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I was going to complain about new standards, but it’s Hope. Quite literally the only company I’ve never had to warranty something for, for WELL over a decade.

Shut up and take my money.

Take my liver if you have to, I want that bike.

Bike looks nice though. Delivery in 2025?

That’s because they test their products properly, unlike Sram who decided they needed to update the seal head on their Pikes two years after bringing the fork to market. Wonder how long they spent testing that. Love the fact they’re testing out an axle on the rear that is bigger than most peoples front axles, bet they are using a proper pinch bolted 20mm axle on that 36 as well. I’ve had to locktight my Pikes maxle as it unwinds itself!

If people were more patient, we’d get better quality products that were more reliable.

Rosss
    Free Member

I’ve said it before but wowzers, ace looking bike I want one.

Deck it out with hope kit and you’ll be set for a good few years

barney
    Free Member

Hope’s new carbon HB.211 bike – exclusive pics!

…we have more pics and a video in the story.

It’s not even a prototype – it’s a concept bike. Hence all the weird new dropouts, chain guide etc. They’re just trying stuff to see if it works, which is the cool thing about concept bikes – I love the fact that I can’t think of many other companies at all, worldwide who could pull this off, and this one isn’t in SantaCruz, or Osaka – it’s in Barnoldswick 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hope everything, the new XT DI2 and full Fox or Ohlins (release the 27.5 fork already!).

I’d be in **** heaven.

Well, I’m going to be financially ruined when/if this gets released. Thanks a lot Hope!

cookeaa

Can i be the first to get the Carbon Fibre Filling Cabinet joke in??

The back end is quite clearly aluminium and has been put together wonky on purpose so it still complies with bicycle manufacturing standards for the land of whippets and loud complaining about everything… 😉

TBH, it just looks like yet another #Enduro ego-sled, the exclusivity of it being made by Hope and not actually ever being available to buy will evidently give some people quite a Lob-on…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t know, Hopes one of the few companies I trust to build something that is fit for purpose. So I will more than happily part with my money on that basis alone.

I’ve become really tired of warranty jobs, I’m going out to Wales during the summer to ride with my old man and brother. If something goes wrong on that trip, it will wind me up big time as we don’t get to ride together that often.

I really, really crave reliability now.

The back wheel on my Giant Reign fell off the other day. The maxle keeps unwinding itself and I have to now use locktight on that too.

Just getting **** off tbh, that Hope uses a proper bolt through. That very fact alone means I will happily splurge 3k on that frame, so I don’t have to worry about….you know….basiscs…like my back wheel not coming off in a rock garden.

cinnamon_girl

This Hope fan girl is disappointed, it’s truly hideous. 😐

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Protos/development mules tend to be hideous.

Check out the Nomad MK3 development mules for the definition of hideousness.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks like a Trek the bastard offspring of a Lapierre and a Yeti.

*likes*

cinnamon_girl

The Nomad is still hideous!

stevedoc
    Free Member

Looks nothing like a Five , the gods of Halifax are disappointed

I just need to find the insert payment method here button

wrecker
    Free Member

Machined rear? 17mm bolt thru? dishless rear wheel?
    I bet it’s stiffer than a stiff thing. All that integration too.
    I absolutely love it. It’ll be too expensive though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, it would be to expensive if it was equiped with a maxle.

But it isn’t and I’m quite prepared to pay through the nose for that.

The only reason why Maxles are specced on so many bikes, is probably because Sram forces companies to agree to that in return for cheap as chips OE stuff.

Never again, did I tell you my Reigns back wheel came off wrecker and then continuously undwound itself loose after every 20 mins of riding? What’s yours been like? Why run a quick release system if you have to locktight it?!

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s hope. It’ll be eyewateringly expensive whatever axle it has.
    I have never had a problem with DT RWS on the reign or trance. Not that this hope thing isn’t or couldn’t be better mind you.

You really shoudln’t have to locktite it tom. I’d get it looked at mate.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I did.

Nothing wrong with it on visual inspection – the guys at my local Giant Store told me to locktight it! I’ve met a few people out on the trails who have exactly the same issues with various manufacturers.

I’m not kidding when I say that SRAM are the worst thing that has happened to the MTB industry, they are the bicycles worlds equivilent of late 90’s to early 2000’s Microsoft.

thepurist

What would the comments on here be if it didn’t have a hope badge on it? Ugly, pointless non standard components, obviously not good enough with carbon to make the rear triangle too etc etc.

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s pretty poor tom, sorry to hear that.

kimbers

Agree about rear maxle being crap, reverse components version is less self unwinding ime.

Will we see Adam Brayton on one at an EWS?

I’d be happy to have one, if I could afford it, which I know I cant

LoCo
    Free Member

Love it, as a design exercise it’s fab and like the point they made about the being able to control the H&S for the carbon production as it’s all in house, a fully Ohlins kitted one would be perfect.
    Only thing is looking at the photos it does seem quite ‘traditional’ geo wise particularly the quite short tt, maybe? 😀
    Still top of my list of bikes I can’t have.

bigblackshed

I’m a Hope fanboy, but that is so far away from my type of bike it could get any further.

And it’s made of burnt toast and glue.

chakaping
    Free Member

Only thing is looking at the photos it does seem quite ‘traditional’ geo wise particularly the quite short tt, maybe?

I wasn’t gonna say anything for fear of getting stereotyped.

There’s no shortage of very good riders connected to Hope though, so it may be based on one individual’s perfect geometry.

vondally
    Free Member

Lots to like
    Horst link
    Coil shock
    Proper travel

But not a 29 er…….

What are the angles/geometry?

vondally
    Free Member

andyl
    Free Member

I wish they would bring out a carbon fibre dropper post with a perfect lever that works with any set up and on any side.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What would the comments on here be if it didn’t have a hope badge on it? Ugly, pointless non standard components, obviously not good enough with carbon to make the rear triangle too etc etc.

Most decent manufactures of carbon enduro bikes make them with Alu rear ends because they are more resistant to rock strikes and simply dent.

That’s pretty poor tom, sorry to hear that.

Oh yeah, and my Pike has been back to FIshers the 2nd time in 5 rides. Oh but this time, it’s been 4 weeks since it was sent, their computers are down and they can’t tell me where my fork is.

So not only is sram stuff shit, they’re distributors are useless as well.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Agree about rear maxle being crap, reverse components version is less self unwinding ime.

Will we see Adam Brayton on one at an EWS?

I’d be happy to have one, if I could afford it, which I know I cant

Cheers Kimbers, looks like a Maxle Ultimate but cheaper? Worth a punt I guess!

Oh yeah, loving the radially mounted rear brake. Bit suspicious that it’s not quite as long in the reach as I’d like – but hopefully that will change.

RicB

Well done Hope!

Great to see a manufacturer working up ideas because they might be much better than what we currently have, rather than because they might make it easier for the marketing depts (15mm front axles frinstance…).

Given the wastage, delays and hassle of overseas production, plus rising prices, I wonder if UK made carbon frames might actually end up being competitively priced. Even at £2.5k with a lifetime warranty (that delivers, as opposed to e.g. Yeti or Evil) they’ll probably make a profit, especially with kit like the new design wheelsets included as a package.

bainbrge

Agreed this is a great proof of concept and does Hope credit, great to see some manufacturing ambition.

Re costs, carbon fibre might be quite labour intensive but surely most of the cost is in tooling etc., which Hope are already setup for given their focus on CNC? Must be a competitive advantage there.

boltonjon

Really love this bike

benpinnick

Re costs, carbon fibre might be quite labour intensive but surely most of the cost is in tooling etc., which Hope are already setup for given their focus on CNC? Must be a competitive advantage there.

Carbon bikes are relatively cheap to produce, its not wildly different than alu or steel. The bulk of the cost as you say is in the tooling. For a one off you’d be investing 90% or so of the cost of production into the machined molds (excluing oven costs) so for Hope thats quite economical.

robowns
    Free Member

I think the frame looks like a cheapo homebrew job. If I saw it on alibaba for £200 i’d still move on and ignore it.

northerntom
    Free Member

Looks good, but would expect something nice from Hope. Although it looks very similar to a lot of other bikes out there, so nothing particularly unexpected.

A lot of SRAM bashing on this thread. I’ve had mixed experiences on their equipment, but in the main, it has survived very well. In 2.5 years, one replacement set of pikes and 3 reverbs. The monarch shock has been faultless throughout. Avid brakes are poor but SRAM branded newer ones seem to be improved. My maxle has never been loose, in 2.5 years of riding it.

It just seems you have had bad experiences with them. A maxle falling out is just dangerous, I would get that properly looked at.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most decent manufactures of carbon enduro bikes make them with Alu rear ends because they are more resistant to rock strikes and simply dent.

LOL really? They do on the cheap end bikes as it’s cheaper and you still get the front triangle as Carbon.

On the SRAM stuff my drivetrain just works, and goes on working. Axles? Can’t tell the difference on 15mm vs 20mm, QR/Maxle type fitting is heaps better than pinch bolts to round and over tighten.

chakaping
    Free Member

A lot of SRAM bashing on this thread.

I think it’s just one person who appears to have a slight lack of perspective, TBH.

I think the frame looks like a cheapo homebrew job. If I saw it on alibaba for £200 i’d still move on and ignore it.

From their description of the project, it seems to be entirely engineer-led (as opposed to marketing) – as someone else said, prototypes don’t usually look all that special.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Hope carbon lovelyness!’ is closed to new replies.