Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • hope brake question
  • danbillam
    Free Member

Just after any info on this I can find before ringing hope tomorrow. Nothing found when googling similar issues either.

I’ve got tech 3 v4 brakes and they have been great with no issues at all. After yesterday’s ride I have just noticed when cleaning the bike. The front lever pulls and works as usual but is very slow at returning. And it isn’t returning fully.
    Anybody had similar? Off to bpw shortly so need to sort it asap.
    Thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

Either a shitty pivot or an issue with a damaged seal in the master cylinder.

The first is more common and easier to fix. Strip the pivot down , give it a clean, reassemble.

danbillam
    Free Member

That’s more likely as the brakes are pretty new so wouldn’t have thought it was a seal. Any idea how to strip the pivot? Cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not had call to play with tech 3 yet but assuming it’s the same as tech 2 evo, there’s a tiny grub screw in the level blade that presses onto the pivot. Then the pivot undoes with a hex top and bottom. Hope web site has some really good exploded diagrams that should make it clear

danbillam
    Free Member

Cheers mate will have a look

danbillam
    Free Member

Looking at the diagram there’s a lever spring and a piston spring. Is it more likely to be the lever spring as the other is behind seals inside the mc. And the brakes are only a couple of months old so fluid shouldn’t have gone funny to block the piston spring.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the lever spring, that’s just to give the detent on the adjusters. It will be around the pivot pin / flanges Bush area.

stoney
    Free Member

It`s the grub screw in the centre of the pic. Just back it off a tiny bit.

danbillam
    Free Member

Cheers mate ill give it a good clean after work tomorrow. A whole piston assembly is only £5. Can’t believe how cheap parts are.

stoney
    Free Member

Other than the fact they are bloody good brakes, That`s why I use Hope 😛

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It’s normlly always the pivot when I see a slow lever. Remove the circlip underneath, pop out the pin, clean it and apply a little silicone grease on it and reassemble.

danbillam
    Free Member

Will give it a good clean. Can’t see it being the grub screw as it hasn’t been touched to be too tight.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tightness of the grub screw is irrelevant. All it does is keep the lever cam on the pivot shaft.

Sundayjumper

+1 for the pivots. Mine weren’t applying smoothly, clean & grease and all good.

SirHC

Had the same in France last year, a week of riding in mud/rain resulted in the levers being slow to return. Took them apart, cleaned and greased and have been fine ever since.

danbillam
    Free Member

Clean and grease sorted it. Cheers for the help.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘hope brake question’ is closed to new replies.