Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope brake alignment and piston lube
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just finishing my Jekyll upgrade ready for the weekend and the XT 1×11 went well but the Hope V4s are giving me a bit of grief I never had with XT brakes.
    They’re obviously fine but I have trouble getting the to run freely. I got round to checking the Hope site and found their excellent ‘how to” video and now I’m going to do it properly. Only problem is I don’t have any silicon lube for the phenolic pistons. Anyone know if Teflon grease will suffice? Or will baby robins die?

kimbers
    eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh, I don’t mind buying stuff, I just want to do it NOW without a 15 mile round trip on the bike.
    Thanks for the link.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Plumbing supplies place half mile from the office sells the stuff so I’ll get some tomorrow.

creamegg
    Free Member

silicon spray / fork spray stuff will be fine if you have that

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Furniture polish spray (especially the cheapest stuff) contains lots of slippery silicon. Go crazy.

I use this stuff everywhere on my bike, fork and shock stanchions, frame, saddle, etc.

No baby robins have died yet.

I’m about to do the service you mention on my M4s, so will be using some on the pistons now too. Spray onto a cloth, apply to exposed pistons, push in and out, polish off excess, fit pads, clean pads with meths.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Plumbing supplies place half mile from the office sells the stuff

Perfect, I think the sprays would be a bit thin. A Wickes, B&Q, screwfix will all have silicon lube as it is used for putting pushfit waste fittings together.

sq225917
    Free Member

Rc car silicon diff oil will do the trick, 1k works perfectly applied with a small brush.,

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks Simon. Plumber’s merchant is closer than the nearest model shop though.

robhughes
    Free Member

Use the stuff that hope use to begin with. 😉
    link

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope brake alignment and piston lube’ is closed to new replies.