Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hope bearings, help please with better alternatives.
  • scruff
    Free Member

The std front Pr02 bearings last me 6 months max, was looking at this site and there are lots of options, including what I guess are different / better sealing options.

Any of these higher cost versions actually going to make a difference ?

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id_src=4475&only_in_cat=1&inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=0&Two_Teds_1=61804&x=0&y=0&gclid=CNfnuZ3nraoCFQEf4Qod_Ef2sA

cynic-al
    Free Member

Filling them up with grease is likely to make a difference.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They all appear to be good brands. Some people will tell you to remove the seals and fill with grease – myself I believe this distorts the seals and leads to premature failure by allowing water entry.

Certainly using good quality sealed bearings and not removing the seals I get years out of the bearings

scruff
    Free Member

I think the ickle bearings dont help longevity never mind the sealing / grease, maybe theSS one might not crumble.

postierich
    Free Member

small bearings are the problem that and load on them 😉
    I repack all bearings from new just be carefull when picking the seal out with a stanley blade!

scruff
    Free Member

🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s easy to increase the grease-fill without even touching the outer seal.

Onzadog
    Free Member

61804 (6804) beartings are the same as the ones I’ve had in my BULB hubs for years and years. The Hope INA bearings are a good quality. Is it possible something else might be causing the early failure?

Actually, 61804 is used in a lot of 200mm compatible hubs without issue.

scruff
    Free Member

Onza, I’m 15st and ride alot, I wouldnt want to be one of my bikes bearings…

Northwind

Aye, fraid they’re good bearings, just badly specced, too small really for the job they do. Replacing them fairly frequently is the price of the reasonably low weight of the hub. Adding grease isn’t that likely to make a difference either way, unless yours are getting contaminated, mine have always been pretty clean, just plain worn out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

scruff, you’ve only got a few pounds on me! Is it possible there’s an alignment issue?

parkesie
    Free Member

marksman bearings

i get bearings from theses chaps chuck some quality grease in and they last and last.

parkesie
    Free Member

marksman bearings

i get bearings from theses chaps chuck some quality grease in and they last and last.

Northwind

(incidentally Hope are far from the only people that use titchy bearings. DT Swiss do it as well with the exact same results. My £1000 Dymag motorbike wheels have 4 sets of tiny cartridge bearings in the front wheel, that last under 5000 miles before replacement. It’s just a weird bearing psychosis that effects people making flash wheels)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I suspect there is some QC issue going on as we have such variable lifespans on the bearings. PP was going thru them in minutes. mine last years even on the tandem.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I rebuilt my rear hub a few weeks ago using genuine Hope bearings. Of the two axle bearings, one had very little grease and the other was pretty much dry so would have lasted no time at all. If this is representative, it is definitely worth getting the seals off and packing them with good grease

Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s the mode of failure?

BruceM
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Filling them up with grease is likely to make a difference.

Could you explain how as to my simple mind that sounds like something David Blaine might do.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hope bearings, help please with better alternatives.’ is closed to new replies.