Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope BB with GXP converters – 73mm Spacers needed?
  • julzm
    Free Member

Wise folk of STW Land, can you give me some advice please.

I’ve gotten so fed up of SRAM red GXP BBs, the I’ve now gone over to Hope BBs with a GXP converter.
    One bike has been running it for a while with no issues. Just moved another bike on to it today and chain feels awful, almost like its gone elastic, really rough under load / climbing in lower gears.

New bike, just built, has the same and the XX1 cranks came loose twice today. I’ve never had XX1 or X01 cranks come loose before, these were literally half a turn loose.

So questions, does a 73mm bike need a spacer or not? Research so far is yielding inconsistent results. Any other reason for these issues that I’m not seeing?

All three bikes are SC VPP.

frogstomp

Pretty sure it’s no spacers for 73mm width shell.

If you are not using any spacers already, check that the crank bolt threads haven’t stripped – they’re quite soft (sacrificial I presume?) so easy to do if you cross-thread. My crank kept coming loose when mine did…

simondbarnes

Documents on Hope’s website show a 2.5mm spacer on the driveside for a 73mm shell.

dingleberry
    Free Member

I’ve got the same BB width/BB/cranks, from memory it is indeed one spacer on the drive side – I can double check tomorrow. I find the cranks have to be done up really tight! Might just be that…

julzm
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Dingleberry did them up really tight and went back out, they’re still ok so hopefully it’s just that. Thanks again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://cdn.hopetechnology.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BBinstructions.pdf
    as with all hope really clear instructions.

I moved the spacer to NDS to sort a slight chain line issue though with a 1x specific crank might not be required.

coatesy
    Free Member

Bear in mind that whatever you do with spacers on the drive side of a GXP set-up, it won’t affect your problems as the axle floats in the drive side bearing, positioning being controlled by the non drive side bearing being clamped between the crank and the step in the axle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope BB with GXP converters – 73mm Spacers needed?’ is closed to new replies.