Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope BB for GXP – help please
  • fishonabike
    Free Member

I am sick of buying new (shit) SRAM GXP BBs, but my SRAM crankset has plenty of life left in it. Was thinking of going for a Hope BB with GXP converter, then switching to Shimano XT once I’ve worn out the chain rings – keeping the Hope BB going minus the converter. Will this work? Or should I just give up now and buy the XT chainset? Slight fly in the ointment is that I suspect I’m going to have to replace my Avid (yes, I know, more shit) brakes before too long – hence why I’d like to retain my existing crankset for as long as possible to spread the cost.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has removed the GXP converter successfully – Hope say it can be done. But then SRAM say they can make BBs.

DaveBro
    Free Member

Hi – I have a few hope bb’s, and one set up with a gxp crank – the converter can be removed, it fixes to the bearing to you need to be a little careful but your plan will work!

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, I did exactly that (actually I replaced the Truvativ cranks when the self-extracting bolt broke!)

fishonabike
    Free Member

fixes to the bearing to you need to be a little careful

But in the event that I somehow cock it up I can replace the bearing in the Hope BB anyway? Or have I misunderstood the point of the Hope BB?

mocha
    Free Member

no you haven’t misunderstood – you can replace the bearings.

stany
    Free Member

You’ve got it nailed.
    Remove the converter or worst case scenario, fit a new nds bearing.
    GXP BB’s really are shit. Only e13 have managed to make a worse one!

Conan257
    Free Member

I use the adaptors, good tip is to file a notch on one of them so you can knock it out with a screwdriver later on.

fishonabike
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Much appreciated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope BB for GXP – help please’ is closed to new replies.