Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hoooray! First New MTB in almost 20 years!
  • Ladders
    Free Member

Well, last night was a great night. Got a call from my LBS who told me my Scott Spark 50 had arrived!

So finished work and went over on my road bike, swapped lights over and rode it the few miles back home. Couldn’t resist taking on the off-road route through Richmond Park instead of the usual road route.

Felt great and took a bit of getting used too from my current Specialized Stumpjumper MMC which is a mix of componants and rigid forks my mate found when he sold it to me.

A world of difference to my original Kona Kilauea which I must have had in about 1993?

First thoughts were wow! this suspension thing is great! But to soft and needs setting up!

Few things I was wondering though! Can you use a track pump to inflate the shocks or do you need a proper shock pump?
    What pressure do I need to run the Rockshox Recons at as it doesn’t seem to give you any pressures? And is it adjustable for rebound?
    Do you run the tyres harder than you would a rigid bike (used to run them pretty soft 30ish psi as I’m about 90kg and a big guy!)
    Can you use narrower tyres than you would a rigid as the suspension will be doing the work instead of the tyres?
    Does anyone use bar ends anymore?

Cheers! Dave.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Ladders
    Free Member

Was too dark to take any! 😀

Will take some asap

wwaswas

not trying to be funny but didn;t the bike shop help with setup?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Can you use a track pump to inflate the shocks or do you need a proper shock pump?”

No you need a proper shock pump, I’m surprised the bike didnt come with one?

“What pressure do I need to run the Rockshox Recons at as it doesn’t seem to give you any pressures?”

Not sure to be honest, but just go on to Rockshox website, they should have manuals/pressures on there.

“And is it adjustable for rebound?”

Again above…

“Do you run the tyres harder than you would a rigid bike (used to run them pretty soft 30ish psi as I’m about 90kg and a big guy!)”

You can generally have higher pressures, but the shock will still transfer through and you will loose grip (but at the same time gain it from suspension)

“Can you use narrower tyres than you would a rigid as the suspension will be doing the work instead of the tyres?”

Some do I wouldnt personally, as the trail noise still gets transfered through.

Does anyone use bar ends anymore?

“Probably not many, but if they work for you why not ?”

All this aside, you will probably need to to change your technique a little for climbing. On rigid bikes you can just stomp away in a big gear climbing. On full suspension you really need to spin more to avoid pedal induced bob….. unless you have a Giant Anthem 🙂

Have fun getting used to the new bike. Do make sure you get the suspension set up right though with the rebound etc as a poorly set up full susser can be truly awful to ride.

…oh and as above bike shop should have really have helped with set up.

Ladders
    Free Member

They don’t really do MTB’s, plus I told them I’d sort it all out when I got home (need to learn how to set up susp myself really)

wwaswas

you can afford to run it fairly soft as it has the lockout levers for climbing doesn’t it?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

They shouldnt have really let you go without a shock pump though.

I’d be ringing them and asking where the shock pump is. I would hope they would give you one for free if you paid full retail.

mrgoll
    Free Member

Enjoy!!! 😀

Be sure to upload a few pics on t’weekend!

spacemonkey

Welcome at last to Bouncy World!

1. Can you use a track pump to inflate the shocks or do you need a proper shock pump? As above, ask LBS for shock pump.

2. What pressure do I need to run the Rockshox Recons at as it doesn’t seem to give you any pressures? And is it adjustable for rebound? As above.

3. Do you run the tyres harder than you would a rigid bike (used to run them pretty soft 30ish psi as I’m about 90kg and a big guy!). At 90kg I’d be looking at 35-40PSI depending on trails/conditions. The squishier the trails, the lower the pressure. Whereas if you’re gonna do some road/hardpack miles then crank up around 40.

4. Can you use narrower tyres than you would a rigid as the suspension will be doing the work instead of the tyres? Yep. Why wouldn’t you? Should be marginally quicker but normally at the expense of grip. I know better riders than me who run 1.8s but chuck the bike around like it’s on 2.5s even on the slippery gnarly stuff.

5. Does anyone use bar ends anymore? Eeuurgh. Bar ends are just wrong.

Ladders
    Free Member

Ok, picture at the cafe at the top of Box Hill

Absolutly loved it! Can’t believe the way it just soaks up pretty much every bump. Really found the lock-out handy for flat sections, although I thought I would be using it on climbs but left it off as the suspension really seems to help you climb!

Thanks for the advice. I feel I could get away with narrower tyres but won’t be swopping just yet. The Rocket Ron’s really coped with the hardpack snow really well, I was expecting to be sliding all over the place but they just held!

Ladders
    Free Member

5. Does anyone use bar ends anymore? Eeuurgh. Bar ends are just wrong.

Maybe, but I did miss not having any!

Milkie
    Free Member

2. What pressure do I need to run the Rockshox Recons

It should say on the fork leg.

Ladders
    Free Member

It should say on the fork leg.

Yes I noticed this at the weekend. Also found the rebound on the bottom of the fork leg.

Anyone know if the Alex XC-44 rims are tubeless compatible?

lemonysam
    Free Member
    IA

Swap that brake hose so it runs inside the fork leg – rookie error right there.

That way when you get too excited about all this new fangled suspension and fall over, your hose won’t be in danger of getting damaged.

br
    Free Member

Anyone know if the Alex XC-44 rims are tubeless compatible?

Should be fine when using a Stans rim strip.

And if you are going tubeless, do it now while your tyres are still new and hole free – plus not so ‘baggy’.

chrispo
    Free Member

By all means use bar ends if you want to. Who cares what the fashion police say?!

I ran bar ends on riser bars for a while, further compounding this crime against humanity, but I decided that although they helped on standing climbs they were getting in the way on the way back down so I took them off.

To compensate, I now ride wearing a lycra bodysuit (luminous) and sandals with socks (white).

Ladders
    Free Member

Swap that brake hose so it runs inside the fork leg – rookie error right there.

Cheers! Will sort that asap!

IA

If you can, you might be able to unbolt the adapter rather than the brake and swap it round (wheel out first) then you don’t even need to re-setup the brake. Careful with the threads as it’s post mount.

clubber
    Free Member

is the lockout just on and off or is there a third “traction” mode inbetween as with the more expensive models?

Regarding fork pressures, the rs suggestions on the fork legs are usually a good bit too high. 110psi in both chambers would be a good starting point for you ime.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hoooray! First New MTB in almost 20 years!’ is closed to new replies.