Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Honk if you are HONCing
  • peteimpreza

Entries are now open. I am number 15.

HONC

petefromearth

just entered – when/how do you choose whether you're doing 50 or 100 km?

i'm wimping out and doing the 50!

peteimpreza

You choose on the day.

Alex

I entered for the first time last year but had to drop out due to knee injury. I'm thinking that was probably a portent for not doing it again 🙂 And I've sold my CX bike. And I'm not clicking on that link 🙂

IHN

Honk!

100k this year. Probably.

psling
    Free Member

Will be missing it this year unfortunately; will be busy involved with a certain European Championship just down the road in FoD the following weekend.

As Pete says, you can choose what distance you do on the hoof but,whatever you do, do not miss out on the cake!!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Honk! Riding under LVIS – Performance cycles, 100k.

Dasha
    Free Member

I'm in

grahamh
    Free Member

Back to marshalling this year..
    Just make you lot suffer :mrgreen:

showerman
    Free Member

is there the tea and cake stall 1/2 way round

oldgit
    Free Member

If my butler agrees to do the map reading I'll do it. Otherwise not.
    Seriously I have just started to wear glasses for reading, but if I look up whilst wearing them everything is a blur. I want to do it, but having a pair of reading glasses around my neck would be a pain.
    Snowed last time I did it.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If my butler agrees to do the map reading I'll do it. Otherwise not.
    Seriously I have just started to wear glasses for reading, but if I look up whilst wearing them everything is a blur. I want to do it, but having a pair of reading glasses around my neck would be a pain.
    Snowed last time I did it.

You really don't need a map, I used one last year on a map board, threw it away half way round, there are so many riders it's hard to go wrong.

peteimpreza

Yes there is cake half way around

oldgit
    Free Member

KINGTUT
    I found myself alone a lot of the time when I did it. I'll ring my mates Monday see if I can get one to do it again with me.

psling
    Free Member

…there are so many riders it's hard to go wrong.

Problem is, half of them are lost too 🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Fair enough oldgit, there were a couple of times I referred to the map but could have got around without it.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Problem is, half of them are lost too

Indeed, even with the use of a map I was still unsure I had done the correct (100k) route when I got to the cake stop, I had to get confirmation from a Marshall.

aP
    Free Member

Hmm…. The week after Tour of Flanders – should be warmed up.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Quite tempted to try it on the CX bike

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Quite tempted to try it on the CX bike

A very popular choice, the course is perfect for a CX bike.

aracer
    Free Member

Honk.

the course is perfect for a CX bike.

Unless it's been dry for weeks beforehand and the ruts are baked hard, as it was the last time I rode it (on the CX bike). In which case you'll really be wishing for some suspension, or at least fatter tyres when riding over lots of the fields. I'll be making the choice between the CX and the FS depending on what the weather's been like this time!

clubber
    Free Member

Disagree aracer. There are some sections that are pretty shaky on a cross bike but they're short enough that you can endure them without any real issue ( loose grip on the bars! ) and the cross bike is just so much quicker on the road and more enjoyable on the offroad that it's an easy choice for me

grahamh
    Free Member

Just had a email from John, the event is half full already!!
    So if you wnat to enter get your skates on.

ps44
    Free Member

I'm in. Done it loads of times but missed last year due to man flu 😥
    Also got the form this morning for the Bucks off roader. But I'm going to miss the Rough Ride this year due to a clash with twin daughters' 21st (could be locked in the dog house if I mess up on that one)

aracer
    Free Member

clubber – did you actually ride it on a CX bike when it was very dry – was 2007 I think (or maybe 2006)? In a normal year you're right, but that had long stretches which were a real pain (and much slower on the CX bike than a FS). Not like I'm that slow on the road on the FS given lockout and fast tyres.

JoB
    Free Member

i rode it on a CX the year it was very dry and bumpy (and more than a few other years as well on both a CX and MTB), it was so jarring that it rattled my front-mech off which has never happened before, the bumpy bits really weren't that bad, more of a fun challenge to be honest, the trick is just to go faster and skim along the tops, well, in theory, certainly not worth dragging a full-suss around 100k for

in again after missing last years due to lurgy

simonb
    Free Member

Just entered. Will be my first ever HONC!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Not doing it this year clubber?

glenncampbell

HONC!! Am in again – looking forward to it!

Dasha
    Free Member

Will the route be available on gpx, tcx, or tracklogs?

grahamh
    Free Member

The route will be available in Tracklogs format on the
    honc web site.
    Usually not posted until a few days before the event.

sockpuppet

filling up fast – 686!

i heard talk last year that they try to do a more CXish route one year, then alternate with a more MTBish one the next. And that last year was the former (lots of black stuff) so maybe more singletrack this time?

I know it started out as a CX event, but there were lots more MTB last year (admittedly I saw mostly MTB because the CX bikes had shot off up the trails and weren't seen again!)

sheldona
    Free Member

Psling, myself and Sofaking are doing it in fact I think all the Knights are!! SSEC will have to take a break for a day.

May even do a BBQ the night before again this year;-)

Don't follow me if you get lost I tend to ride my own version cutting out some road and slapping in some real cheeky bits :p

ps44
    Free Member

"cutting out some road and slapping in some real cheeky bits" – that's my approach as a local too…causes lots of confusion !

nunuboogie
    Free Member

HONC this year will be my third time, great day out 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I'm in kingtut – well I'll actually have to see nearer the time whether I actually fo it as it's ssec the weekend after and I may well be away with work too.

Anyway, yes have cxed it in those super-bumpy conditions. It wasn't easy but I still think the cx is better overall.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I'm HONC'ing 100k for the 2nd time. Let's hope i don't get lost this time (along with 5 others and no map) and get laughed at by Mr Niche

Houns

Toot toot I'm in. Though 2 years of hardly riding and a dodgy back will see me struggle to do the 50k

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Interested in having a focus to get me out on cold mornings/evenings- just how hard is it?- 50k that is!

thekingofsweden

We are in so that defo means the SSEC plans will have to wait for that day 😀

I see the queen of britain and prince phillip are in too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Honk if you are HONCing’ is closed to new replies.