Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Honda Civic, room in the back for a 29er.. upright?
  • dblspeed
    Free Member

A question for the latest (9th generation) Civic owners, if you remove the front wheel and pull the seats down, are you able to fit a full suspension 29er in upright position?

Cheers

ski
    Free Member

Does the 9th gen not have the magic back seats that fold up, like the 8th gen?

Used to be able to slide my bike in between the seats on my 8th gen?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

As above, the seat bases fold up and a bike will fit across the way (wheels off)

Otherwise you might make it work providing there’s no spare wheel (goo is standard)

LeeW

I can’t with mine, I need to take both wheels off to get it behind the front seats.

Trimix
    Free Member

My missus has a 4-5 yr old Type R, so possibly its the same inside.
    (has no spare wheel, so there is extra space in the boot)

We can get two bikes in there, but I take both wheels off and put them upside down. There is still room for luggage, enough for a couple of weeks holiday.

Its not so much the headroom, more the length. I find with a long bike the rear wheel just touches the back window or the bars too far forward they are not supported on the folded down seats. So I take the wheels off and it all fits fine.

tall_martin

I’ve got a civic tourer. Fits 3 people and 2 extra large 29″in. I’ve never tried having it upright.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used to have a civic, as said above, had to take both wheels off to fit across the back (in between front and rear seats) which is pointless really, as it means seating area faff to keep seats clean. No way you’re getting a 29er with front wheel removed upright in load bay either.

Trimix’s solution is what I used to do.

dblspeed
    Free Member

Hi everybody, I did not mean fitting the bike sideways with the magic setas up, I know there’s not enough room for that with just the front wheel off, what I meant is carrying the bike like it’s shown here ,from this old post.

The car should be an eight gen Civic even though it’s not clear what kind of bikes are those.

I was assuming that I could have fit my cube stereo 29er 140 with the front wheel off, seat down, and back wheel between the front seats, to gain some length.

Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I couldn’t fit a large 26 soul in like that IIRC.

teethgrinder

Can get a 26″ in (medium) with front wheel off.
    Cannot get a Large 26″ Spitfire in without both wheels off.

That’s upright, forks in first. A lot of it depends on the fork length and seat tube/seat post height.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Look up “honda civic interior bike attachment”

There are various official and unofficial options for bike mounts in the rear using the fork axle.

Some use the spare wheel space for the mount so you can’t have a spare wheel or junk in that space, though since I was looking some years back it seems there are other options now.

Looks like Tourer gets multiple bike version.

I just lay mine on the side. Can stack a few bikes with some protection in between. Would be interested in getting a nice interior mount though.

p.s. I wouldn’t put bikes in upside down if it’s a long trip, especially if it’s been muddy, hose bikes and then shove in the car. As I found, seized headset as water must have collected in the headset instead of drained out. 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Honda Civic, room in the back for a 29er.. upright?’ is closed to new replies.