Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • HONC 2010
  • grahamh
    Free Member

On behalf of the committee.

We have tabled the idea of just providing a map with comments for the tricky bits, as opposed to the full written route instructions and map. These are very resource heavy to produce and we aren’t sure how much they are used…
    But your feedback on this issue would be really helpful

Sam

Did it for the first time this year and I can’t say we used the written instructions at all. Occasionally referred to the map but mostly just follwed everyone else – particularly people with gps’s…

Should also say – thank you so much for a fantastic event, will be back next year for sure, especially if you turn on such excellent weather again!

Sam

hh45
    Free Member

Hi Graham

Having done it three times I consider that a map only would be just as good and if that saves you guys time, effort and money then so much the better. I was particularly impressed with the map quality this year.

I also like the intro – ‘on behalf of the committee’ – very Communist Party c. 1925!! Or should that be Smersh?

clubber
    Free Member

before i started using a gps and was also a lot quicker (so i couldn’t just follow other people) i thought that the directions were great and preferable to the map simply because you knew exactly what to look for and after how far.

Of course a map would be fine too if the notes on it were sufficiently detailed.

ps44
    Free Member

Map’s good for me – so long as I can see it in advance. I’m a local so I have the route memorised before I start.

patentlywill
    Free Member

I use the tracklogs route on gps plus a peek at the map occasionally – haven’t used the written directions for the past couple of years or so.

I was a bit worried at the title – thought it must be getting so popular that you were opening the entries 11 months in advance…..

Also local

IHN

Map only’s fine by me but, like others, being local I’ve got most of it in my head anyway.

Philby

Liked the written instructions personally, especially when in a couple of places other riders went of in apparently the wrong direction.

In 2008 there was one point where about 20 people were trying to work out from the map whether a junction we were at was where to turn left – took ages to resolve.

Looking forward to 2010 – how about making a 75km route an official option?

Thanks to all for the excellent organisation and cake stop for this year’s event!

Oh and don’t forget to order sunny weather again next year!

flatfish
    Free Member

only used the written instructions this year but don’t mind map only

keyses2

I did it for the first time this year and used the instructions more than the map as I found them very easy to follow however if I had only had a map with the tricky bits written down I probably would have ended up making my own route card to follow that would have been similar to the one which was provided anyway so I would have thought that a map and fewer written instructions would be ok.

peteimpreza

Written instructions are much better.

Second the official 75km option.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m a map person. And a follow someone else person!

Pickers

Maps every time for me.
    Done it twice and left the written instructions in the car both times.
    Can’t get on with them on Audax rides either

Hi Graham, great event. I found the map tricky to check/read while riding so navigated with the written instructions which I much prefer. Using a different colour for marking the route on the map may help though? The yellow can make differentiating minor roads and tracks difficult on a quick glance. Hope this helps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘HONC 2010’ is closed to new replies.