Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Homemade workstand ideas?
  • hora
    Free Member

Thinking about this for a while and I dont fancy paying £80 for something that wobbles but can clamp at different angles (I dont need different angles)..so was thinking of making my own in a hangmans noose setup with a inner tube(s) to hold the top tube or saddle etc.

Ideas? Was going to go down to B&Q later…..or….how about another product that can be adapted?

uplink
    Free Member

An old seat post fastened to the roof of your shed/workshop/kitchen?

alpin
    Free Member

seat post thing is good IF you can attach it to your ceiling, your ceiling isn’t too high and all the bike you want to work on have the same sized post.

what about the bike hanger/storage things? the ones with the pulley system to hold the bike up out the way?

uplink
    Free Member

Get Mrs H to hold it up for you? 🙂

hora
    Free Member

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9275826&fh_reftheme=promo_159030003%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372016}%2fcategories%3C{9372053}%2fcategories%3C{9372279}&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372016}%2fcategories%3C{9372053}%2fcategories%3C{9372279}%2fcategories%3C{9392120}&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1245763332013&isSearch=false

+

http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/catalog/catalogPage.jsp?categoryId=brackets&utm_source=DIY&utm_medium=Search_Redirect&utm_campaign=brackets

?

GW
    Free Member

Why bother? bikes are pretty simple really so there’s no job that can’t be done without a workstand, especially a cheap (£80) one.

verses
    hora
    Free Member

Verses, now we are getting somewhere..

GW- its the need to ‘create’ plus if you dabble whose to say your own creation wouldnt be better?

Hmmmm off to B&Q tonight for a wander round..

l45key
    Free Member

Saw these a while back…

Here

and should get some inspiration from This site

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

For gear ‘fettling’ where only the rear wheel needs to be clear of the ground I tip my Workmate on its side and use this to clamp the front tyre/wheel and then use an axle stand under the bottom bracket. Works well and pretty stable. Probably the workmate and axle stands cost more than a bike stand – but it’s what I’ve got in the garage!

hora
    Free Member

Ideas ideas – plastic tubing could feature as well..

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I’m sure there was a picture in one of the “Show us your sub-XX lbs/over XX lbs bike” threads where someone had used a fencepost with a bike wall-hook attached to it as a bike stand. Seemed like a neat solution. Let me see if I can find it…

hora
    Free Member

guitarmanjon, sturdy plus you could wrap the post with lagging to stop the frame etc clanging/rubbing against

piemann
    Free Member

Making your own is a laudable aim. I looked into it but some of the homemade stands actually used relatively expensive bits and the total costs looked quite high. In the end I went to Decathlon and got one of their own brand stands. Best £50 I have spent in a very long time.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just whack a nail in the roof beams and lob a rope up, works a treat for me. Tie one end to the saddle, one to the bars and hey presto, you just have to look out for spinning it when you’re not looking, turn around and get a bar in the face (done it a few times).

gusamc
    Free Member

Can you hang something (solid) from a rafter with a seatpost on it ?

jam-bo

few climbing slings and a couple of karibiners.

hora
    Free Member

jambo, why does that remind me of a sexswing? 8)

zaskar
    Free Member

L brackets on a wall covered in foam to prevent paint coming off?

Ambrose

Adam,my brother in law has adapted some kind of strut thingy he bought at Ikea. A spring loaded pole that goes from floor to ceiling.

alpin
    Free Member

jam bo, that is jst what i was about to suggest after using a set up similar to clean the bike today. although mine used two old leather belts slung over a pole. that kinky enough for you, Penguinious?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Homemade workstand ideas?’ is closed to new replies.