Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Homemade Swarfega
  • JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

Here's a readily available concoction which works a treat for cleaning the paws after a fettle. If you have a kitchen then you will always have the ingredients.

2 parts cooking oil
    1 part washing-up liquid

Use neat then rinse away…. voila!

For those problem stains try adding a spoon of sugar to the mix.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Do the oil and WupL not cancel each other out?

I just use a teaspoon of sugar with a slug of washing up liquid on slightly wet hands. Works better than any proper cleaner I've used.

z1ppy

I just use a teaspoon of sugar with a slug of washing up liquid on slightly wet hands.

+1 to this, as the swarfega lid is a nitemate when you hands are covered in crap, and the sugar/liquid works so well, I stopped buying swarfega.

carbon337
    Free Member

fairy-up liquid and salt – done.

njee20
    Free Member

I just use a teaspoon of sugar with a slug of washing up liquid on slightly wet hands.

+2

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Why not substitute a proper handwash for the washing up liquid, much less likely to devlop contact dermatitis that way.

Personally I just use Swarfega, bought 2 bottles in B&Q years ago and am still using the second bottle, find it only needs to be used in such small quantity to do the job TBH.

Northwind

Sugar and hand cleaner for me when I run out of the good stuff. I've used swarfega, it's alright… The orange stuff's needed for really manky motorbike hands, the green just doesn't cut it but for mtb use green is usually OK.

I use The Really Good Stuff from Morrisons now, works a bit better than orange swarfega and comes in a nice squirty bottle, and is cheaper.

spooky_b329

Why not substitute a proper handwash for the washing up liquid

Washing up liquid is a degreaser, normal handwash isn't. If you are getting dermatitis from the washing up liquid, you probably shouldn't be getting your hands covered in oil and grease in the first place 🙂

Barrier cream is a good investment though, just got to remember to apply the stuff before you get stuck in 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

box of 100 disposable gloves from local discount shop for 3 quid. job done.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Washing up liquid is a degreaser, normal handwash isn't. If you are getting dermatitis from the washing up liquid, you probably shouldn't be getting your hands covered in oil and grease in the first place

That doesn't really make sense, as a contact dermatitis from WUPL would be caused by it degreasing the skin. If you're using sugar etc to get really clean then any detergent (like a handwash) would probably do to help breakdown the inevitable dirt on the skin as well as any grease & oil.

As it is, I don't get contact dermatitis from WUPL (womens work, I don't do that) but have had it from the anti-bacterial handwashes at work (nurse, so these are not the same as the anti-bact stuff in the supermarkets, they are stupidly harsh).

Agree with the use of cheapie gloves when mechanicing on a bike, prevention better than cure and all that etc.

tails
    Free Member

Just wipe it on your jeans you bunch of faires!

Soup
    Free Member

Barrier cream is your friend

JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

box of 100 disposable gloves from local discount shop for 3 quid. job done

Using protection removes >50% of the fun. I find spraying Gunk engine degreaser works quite well too, but I wouldn't recommend using it to clean your contact lenses. A little caustic.

andytherocketeer

use a squirty handsoap dispenser. very handy with mucky mitts.
    i tend to use disposable gloves too.

amplebrew

I just use a teaspoon of sugar with a slug of washing up liquid on slightly wet hands. Works better than any proper cleaner I've used.

+ 3 🙂

Burls72
    Free Member

Washing up liquid and washing powder works a treat, stings a little bit on the cuts though.

grahamh
    Free Member

One from the CTC.
    Washing up liquid and sugar.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Homemade Swarfega’ is closed to new replies.