Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Homemade burgers
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve been craving a proper thick burger for a while and given i’ve got a packet of mince in the freezer im going to make my own. Give me your recipes…

momo

A little bit of finely diced onion, salt and fresh ground black pepper is all that is required for the perfect burger.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Crushed cream crackers.

Cumin.

Chili flakes.

Onion.

All good – but in general, less is more.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Mmmm… now that isn’t a bad idea at all! I was just wondering what to do with that packet of mince I had in the fridge for tea tonight!

Shame I don’t have any rolls… curses… suppose I could pop to Co-Op though 😉

Houns

One egg
    Bread crumbs
    Onion finely diced
    Grated cheder
    Couple of cloves of garlic
    Worcestershire sauce
    Bit of Jalpeno if you like a bit of spice

CaptJon
    Free Member

Cream crackers? A quick google reveals Mr Oliver uses them. What do they do for the texture?

(i read it as custard creams first time!)

rewski
    Free Member

BBQ’d?

LoCo
    Free Member

Chilli burger.

finely diced onion
    Garlic crushed and chopped,
    Cumin
    Coriander
    coco powder
    pinch of paprika
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    chilli (to taste) chopped
    stock cube (beef)

mix together and form burgers and leave in fridge for a hour to solidify so they don’t break apart so easily when cooked.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Salt
    Pepper
    Egg
    Some sort of bread crumbs
    Onion, the finer the better.

Chilli is always a good one to add.

thejesmonddingo

Form the meat into a couple of patties,then charcoal grill them,if you need extra flavour add a sauce to the cooked burger.
    Ian

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can’t remember where I got the idea – prob mr Oliver now that you mention it.

They do the same thing as stale breadcrumbs but these days, noone ever has stale bread around. The burgers are less stodgy using crackers. They worked very well when I tried them during a summer barbie last year.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Interesting. I happen to have some homemade bread going stale i could use.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If it’s rock hard stale, then yeah, go for it. The key is “dry” 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Burgers are soooo easy to make, see neilsonwheels’ recipe, but I’ve never bothered with the breadcrumbs. They’re not necessary. Little bit of garlic, chilli, corriander maybe if you like. No need to ponce about with herbs and spices and all that nonsense though. Just add some ketchup, cheese, salad etc or whatever sauce to the bun. You want to actually taste the meat. Cocoa powder ffs… 🙄

Fatty mince is best though, for flavour. Plus the fat drips down onto the hot charcoal, and helps give them a slight smokiness.

You are BBQing them, aren’t you?

deluded
    Free Member

Basic seasonings then smash some blue cheese and horseradish into the mix.

Best burger FACT.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I happen to have a disposable BBQ (oddly in my office), i’ll have to remember to take it home.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh, and a nice homemade ketchup is ffar better than that bottled vinegary muck.

Squeeze of tomatoe puree
    salt
    paprika
    bit of sambal oelek
    squeeze of lemon juice maybe
    bit of water so it’s not too thick

Mix together, et viola.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

bit of sambal oelek

In the back of the cupboard, on the right, behind the 5 spice.

Kuco

It’s just chilli sauce 😉

BigJohn

I’ve just made some using haddock, galangal, lemongrass, garlic, fish sauce, spring onions, coriander, egg and breadcrumbs. If they’re half as nice as the crabcakes I made last week I’ll be in heaven.

Just on here to google (or bing) a thai salad dressing. Thinking sesame oil, rape oil, fish sauce, soy and garlic but checking if there’s anything better.

EDIT – bollockybugger – used the last lime in a Caipirinha. Have to use lemon in the dressing. Or Sarsons, maybe?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Beef, Egg, Salt, Pepper as usual but then

Paxo instead of breadcrumbs/crackers
    Diced fired streaky bacon
    Small chunks of mature cheddar

all mixed together for an all in one bacon and cheeseburger!

Inbred456
    Free Member

I second momo’s advice. Gently sautee the onions in a little olive oil first, add mince and salt and pepper to taste. Less is more in this case. If the mince is the usual rubbish from the supermarket sitting on a Tena lady pad then it may be better to add some strong spices. Paprika or cumin will usually mask the taste sufficiently.
    If you want to add breadcrumbs to pack it out or chopped veg etc it changes from a burger to a Rissole!

Kuco

There’s a butchers in Nassington that does loverly mince.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Finely chopped water chestnuts

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Finely chopped water chestnuts

Finely chopped water chestnuts??? 😡

I’m off to kick someone’s cat…

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Burger hmm…. [dribbles into keyboard……]

CaptJon
    Free Member

Given it was supermarket mince i added red onion, chilli flakes, garlic, salt and pepper. A thick layer of mature cheddar topped my two patties off. Yum yum in my tum.

spacemonkey

No need for any of this breadcrumb bollox – just do this:

1kg minced beef
    3 tbs ketchup
    3 tbs oyster sauce (negates the need for salt and improves binding)
    1 egg yolk
    diced onions
    herbs of choice (fresh definitely best) – pick a good handful from one or more of; marjoram, parsley, rosemary, sage, lemon thyme or whatever you fancy

Add seasoning (pepper only)

Roll into patties and slap in the oven/pan/BBQ …

EDIT: most burger buns/baps these days are so puffed up that they take away all the flavour of the burger. So look for good quality ones otherwise try wraps, pittas, Dr Food stuff or just have ’em naked.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Get 1kg minced beef shin from the butchers, tiny onion dice, finely chopped leek, chilli powder, garlic, worcester sauce, crushed black peppercorns and a tiny wee bit salt.
    I use this lot for meatballs and burgers, its fab as meatballs with a lovely tomato and chilli sauce.

I don’t use breadcrumbs if the mince is lean, but if its a bit fatty then dry out two slices of white bread in a low oven, and then blitz them in a blitzer thing. 😀

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

There’s plenty of perfectly competent ones out there already, making your own burglers is just plain daft.

edhornby

making your own is healthier because they don’t have stabilisers and the like to make them last longer on a shelf… plus you know how good the mince is

mince, onion chopped fine, seasoning, egg is all you need, a bit of chilli if you want a bit of a kick

grum
    Free Member

I’ve just made some using haddock, galangal, lemongrass, garlic, fish sauce, spring onions, coriander, egg and breadcrumbs. If they’re half as nice as the crabcakes I made last week I’ll be in heaven.

Most middle class thing ever written on STW? 😛

maxray
    Free Member

Not really a burger, more of a fish cake.

RustySpanner

Most middle class thing ever written on STW?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alQjtnWQlAE[/video]

I had to look up galangal.
    Sounds delicious though!
    😀

stevemtb
    Free Member

Had about an hour argument with a French mate.

Him: Look at ze homemade boorger
    Me: It’s not a homemade burger you bought it at the shop
    Him: Oui, and I cooked her myself
    Me: Homemade burger is one you made from scratch
    Him: Exactly, I bought ze boorger, ze bun, ze cheese, ze fries and made it myself
    Me: Still didn’t buy the ingredients and make the burger

And so on, still rip him for the ‘homemade’ boorger. Was a pretty funny converastion!

philconsequence
    Free Member

surprised nobody has mentioned putting some blue cheese or stilton in the middle of the burger so as the burger cooks it melts in the middle!

i have a fear that this summer’s bbq season could ruin my efforts to loose weight 👿

B_Leach
    Free Member

after messing about for ages making crap homemade burgers i’ve found one ingredient sorts any binding issues with shop bought mince: tomato puree. Coincidentally it makes them proper yummy 😀

ingredients:
    500g mince (makes 4 burgers)
    1 egg yolk
    Black pepper
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    1 smallish finely chopped onion
    seasoning to taste (I usually end up going for 2 tsp of bbq seasoning)

Mix together by hand, part into 4 balls. Oil up hands to make forming patties easier and make them slightly bigger than the bun they’re set to go into. don’t bother sticking them in the fridge, just whack them straight on a hot grill. NOM

As soon as a bbq gets mentioned someone asks if I’m making them.

Coincidentally, a couple of mates ended up doing something the other day that I was going to suggest to you lot.
    A burger with two Chicago town pizzas as the bun, it’s either pure evil or the most beautiful thing in the world… I’m currently undecided

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Homemade burgers’ is closed to new replies.