Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Home/Bike Insurance
  • edsbike
    Free Member

Morning,

Moving into a new house soon, and looking for home contents insurance. M&S won’t insure as it’s apparently a flood risk area (it’s never flooded and house is 200 years old).

I’d like my bikes insuring in case of theft from the house/garage, NOT if they’re away from the house (I wouldn’t leave any of them unattended). So, basically, I’d like them to be covered in the same way my telly and other contents is.

No one seems willing to insure me, does anyone have any recommendations for sensibly priced insurance that’ll cover the bikes?

Thanks, Ed

IHN

Have you tried the Co-Op? Standard bike limit is £1k, can go higher for small additional premium.

Dunno about the flood risk stuff though.

edsbike
    Free Member

Did a quick quote, seem cheap, but no mention anywhere of bikes, may have to give them a ring.

Thanks

ART

Sainsbury’s – switched to them from M&S, you can specify bikes above £1k. Had the same ‘flood’ issues with M&S as you do, was only insured with them as an existing customer but premiums were getting silly.

iain65
    Free Member

NFU Murual worked well for me, we have 9 bikes in the family, anything over £1k (I think?) had to be named, not the cheapest but the best available cover I could find at the time. Also covers accidental damage.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Also interested in replies to this, M & S quoted double our existing premium for a house move!!! Co-op have just quoted same as last years price but not as good cover on bikes that you specify so waiting for call backs from john lewis and NFU but on paper JL looks to be a good option as they seem to offer the same cover as M&S without specifying bikes, is this right?

nacho
    Free Member

I’m just about to start looking as our M&S is getting sooo expensive, I’m going to check back through this:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-cycle-insurance-now-that-ms-are-charging-full-whack

Meanwhile any other idea’s appreciated (who are JL?)

munkyboy
    Free Member

+1 sainsburys, just got cover, up to £1k out of the home for a good price

dickie
    Free Member

Flood risk here too – was with M&S but also got refused. Struggled to find anyone but in the end had to go with Swinton at £750 with named value bikes – insurer was Aviva so will be trying them direct when times due.

iDave
    Free Member

try these chaps, I’ll be using them when renewing

http://www.theinsurers.co.uk/cycle-insurance/

TheFlyingOx

Just been on moneysupermarket for insurance on our new place.
    3 bikes totalling ~£10k, covered away from home, plus all the usual gubbins for £23 a month through Insure.com.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Yes money supermarket came up with some decent quotes although I do fear about the quality of service you might get with some of them, green insure came up cheapest for me but need to check about bikes as put all the details in but want piece of mind before accepting. Co-op was cheapest outside of comparison sites although price jumps with bike value directly

MRanger156
    Free Member

NFU – probably not the cheapest but very good.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Went with green insurance company (axa) in the end they insure bikes up to £2500 when you specify them and doesnt seem to make too much difference to price when you change the value. They also insure unspecified bikes up to £750 a piece which should cover the commuter and the mrs bike. All in about £30/month with contents away from home. Sure the service wont be as good as M&S however they wanted nearly £1k for my requote!

Re NFU, left my details for a call back, didnt anything from them.

edsbike
    Free Member

I’d been using gocompare for a comparison, and there is no option on there to insure bikes but not away from home.

Tried again on moneysupermarket and got a quote of £210 with two bikes insured for £5000 combined and laptop named etc.

Includes £2000 away from home and accidental damage. I can’t remember the provider but seems reasonable. This is for contents only.

I’ll try ringing Coop later, they won’t do an online quote as the house is older than 1850.

Thanks for the help guys

timmytwowheels
    Free Member

My insurance company would not insure me as they said I lived in a high risk flood area, that’s the last time I buy a house boat !!! 😆

10pmix
    Free Member

I use Hiscox. Cover up to £4k per bike I think. Great customer service too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Home/Bike Insurance’ is closed to new replies.