• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ajc.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Home workers – office chairs for the tall recommendations/help please
  • CaptainSlow

As the above title really, I have a desk that is quite high that I would like to use in my lounge to work from but I am having difficulty finding a good chair that his high enough and not too wide (or can be used without the arms.

Do any of my fellow home workers have a chair they can recommend?

Ta 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

You neeeed to go and try them.

A few years ago my employer sent me to an internationally acclaimed rehab centre with an occy health department. Despite the 20 different chairs there, they had to send out to get a different one to fit me. What is good for me might not be good for you.
    However, I would recommend one where the seat pad can be moved forwards – that is the single best aspect for me.

Oh – a good chair is no use if you still sit badly in it. Do your employers not still have to provide a workplace risk assessment for you?

finishthat
    Free Member

We have Herman Miller Aeron chairs at work , they have adjustable arms that can be removed.
    Worth a try , as if they fit they are excellent.

onewheelgood

The Aerons are eye-wateringly expensive. For home use the Mirra is just as comfortable for the body and slightly less painful on the wallet.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’ve had Aerons at my last two workplaces and I’ve thought they were crap. I suppose that proves nothing except that everyone finds different things comfortable.

tonyg2003

Herman Miller Aeron in my home office.
    Super comfy for my shape (make sure you get the right size). Also super expensive so I bought second hand. I’m sure if it didn’t have suited I could have sold it for about what I paid for it.

T1000
    Free Member

Aerons are great remember the back comes in 3 heights if buying 2nd hand the nr of bumps under the top lip of the back gives the size 1 small 2 lrg 3 xl

spacemonkey

We have Aerons in the office and while they’re good, they’re not worth £600 or so (or even half that refurbed) IMO. So a few weeks ago when I needed a new chair for home, I ordered a Giroflex G64 Highback. But when I went to collect it I found it very unforgiving and not nearly as adjustable as expected – although it looked damn fine. Had a chat with the dealer and they showed me a Steelcase Leap for a few more quid. Although a bigger/heavier chair, it’s up there with the Aeron in terms of spec but most importantly for me offers an unbelievable level of comfort. So I bought it and absolutely love it. Refurbs of the Mk 1 are here and elsewhere.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I have bricks under my desk to make it higher but it’s still only 790mm, how high is your desk?
    I have a Sedus Netwin (work bought it, no idea how much) which I’m pretty much at the top limit of, if my desk was over 800mm I don’t think the chair would be high enough. On plus side I like the springy back to the chair which means I don’t sit still and seize up.

CaptainSlow

My desk is 820 – I’ve had the humiliation of a higher than everyone else desk before. I’m replicating that setup at home as it was comfiest.

Thanks for the suggestions and links – please keep em coming.

ajc
    Free Member

How tall are you. No one should have a desk at 820. It sounds like you need a chair/ desk and some advice on how to set up your workstation. im pretty sure your employer is legally obliged to offer this to you. I’ll check with the wife, she’s the ergonomics consultant. As mentioned above get a chair of correct size but also fully adkustable with seat pan tilt. Lots of people buy the cheaper version of the aeron without this, but it is designed as a meeting chair not a task chair.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Home workers – office chairs for the tall recommendations/help please’ is closed to new replies.