Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Home Network Security Advice.
  • chrispalmr
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve recently expanded my home IT from being a single PC to a WiFi router with the original desktop PC, a netbook (connecting via WiFi) and a Network drive. All this connects to t’internet via cable modem off the router.

I have McAfee Antivirus/Firewall running on both computers, and have WPA2 encryption running on the WiFi connection.

However, I’m now conscious of the fact that I have all my files backed up to the network drive, which is hung directly off the router and is hence ‘outside’ the antivirus/firewall software running on both PCs.

So, assuming I’m not being paranoid, what’s the recommended approach to ensuring the security of the network drive, and for that matter the router.

Cheers for any/all advice

Chris

samuri
    Free Member

The files on the network drive will (almost certainly) only be damaging when exposed to an OS. Your PC should scan anything on the drive as it accesses it, and assuming the only way files can get on the drive is from your PC they should already have been scanned anyway.

edit: Short answer, there is very little cause for concern as long as you’re applying all the proper controls on your PC(‘s).

chrispalmr
    Free Member

Thanks Samuri,

My concern is more around the potential for others to access those files as my firewall software is running locally on the two PCs and I don’t know how secure the router and NAS are to external access.

Not really understanding this subject; I just know enough to be paranoid!

Chris

Sandwich

The router has a firewall in it which you can tweek by using the set-up page. You can also limit access to the network by listing the MAC addresses of authorised PC’s which puts another obstacle in the way of any hackers.

Cougar

MAC filtering is bypassable in seconds, I wouldn’t bother personally.

You’ve a firewall on the router which will be sufficient protection for a home network. Realistically, no-one is getting past that.

I’d suggest making sure that all your PCs are Windows Updated to the hilt, and that you’re running the latest versions of Java and Adobe plugins – these are very common attack vectors at the moment. Have a look at Secunia PSI – it’s marketed as a ‘security tool’ but I find it really useful for catching out-of-date patches on other software not covered by Windows Update.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Home Network Security Advice.’ is closed to new replies.