Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • home made workstand
  • watsontony
    Free Member

i need to make one. has anyone made one befor? anyone any pics? or anyone know what can go wrong and things to take into account?

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you have a garage or a work area then screw some large hooks into the ceiling beams and hang some rope or chain down. Keeps the bike upright with the wheels off the ground and is pretty cheap to do.

watsontony
    Free Member

i dont really have a work arear. im after something freestanding been looking at the proper ones and sort of got a few idears

matthew_h
    Free Member

Making a home-made stand is easy enough but making a decent clamp is really tough

watsontony
    Free Member

yea its the clamp i am strugging with. not sure what to use

watsontony
    Free Member

but bigger. humm that one only opens 25mm. need 40 really plenty of room for all seat posts that way. mins 30mm

tinsy
    Free Member

With stuff like Lidl selling workstands at about £30 that are decent is it really worth the agro?

I am all for mending, making do, etc, probably why I still just turn the bike upside down, but if you cant realistically make a better one than you can buy for the same money it doesnt make much sense to me.

watsontony
    Free Member

may try pic one up cheap but with the non bike tools i have i am sure i could make a nice workstand for under a £5er plus material i have around. just wondering if anyone had done it befor?

probably why I still just turn the bike upside down

this is why i need one. im sick of it and with a home made stand i can make it to fit me and my bike rather than using one that has to suit everyone and every bike

matthew_h
    Free Member

Probably easier to make one of the ones more like the road pro mechanics do that support the bike under the BB shell.

Basically just a tressle table with a mount for your fork or rear wheel

watsontony
    Free Member

not seen any like that. the issue i see is are the wheels free to spin? i would need to be able to spin wheels for setting up brakes gears ect..

matthew_h
    Free Member

Like this:

Definitely allows the wheels to be spun

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

not seen any like that. the issue i see is are the wheels free to spin? i would need to be able to spin wheels for setting up brakes gears ect..

Turn the bike round, lock back wheel in to sort front end, opposite for rear.

watsontony
    Free Member

i could work with that design. just dont think it would be easier. im think of using some 1×1 box section to make the stand and then mount a small vice on the end of the arm only thing i need is the vice. or to design my own clamp

matthew_h
    Free Member

Fair enough, thought it might be a bit easier as there is not the same requirement for a clamp.

tinsy
    Free Member

I get your drift about making one, go for it. 🙂

I like the look of the trestle style one, be a doddle, and no clamp needed just a front QR, or maybe a broken bike roof rack from the tip or ask on the wanted section?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

i could work with that design. just dont think it would be easier.

Your right buy one 😉

This would work to clamp the frame down.

watsontony
    Free Member

cheers guys will post pics wen done. tonight / tomorrow

Gotama
    Free Member

Don’t worry about a clamp, just have two prongs coming out to rest the top tube on, bit like a car rack. If you want to secure it them a couple of short bungees should do the trick.

watsontony
    Free Member

Don’t worry about a clamp, just have two prongs coming out to rest the top tube on, bit like a car rack. If you want to secure it them a couple of short bungees should do the trick.

nice. very simple and works like it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘home made workstand’ is closed to new replies.