• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by speedybars-spam.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Home Made Energy Bars
  • rthomas17
    Free Member

Anyone ever made their own energy bars to keep you going on long rides? I’ve got a bag of porridge oats, some honey and an oven – surely I can put those together and save myself some ££££’s.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yes, you can make flapjacks.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Add Rasins and/or Stem Ginger and/or Chocolate as per and you are indeedy on your way to become….

FlapJack King.

rthomas17
    Free Member

This should be fun. I need to try and make a consistency that won’t disintigrate after 4 hours in a camelback. Maybe this is the start of my long sort-after “dragon’s den” idea….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’ll never suck an oat through the straw… for this reason… I’m out.

rewski
    Free Member

I was thinking about blending raisins and dates in a magimix to create a gluey paste, maybe a little honey or maple syrup, then add ground almonds, oats and seeds. Then into a tray, refrigerate, cut into bars, cling film or foil, instant mule bar.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeedy, you’ll never look at another flapjack again after it being sunbaked/backheat applied/warming/mulchy/stinky 4 hour degenerated mess that it will invariably become as the floor of your camelback.

Good luck, don’t post piccies.

Vom.

hhahahaa

rewski
    Free Member

Indeed, might get away with it this time of year, if not it’s back to rolled malt loaf for me 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t let us put you off, we’ve all done it/do it..

Only taking the pi**, I’m hacking through a tray I made last Wed eve.. Stem Gingers my fave at the mo’.

Have been known to add cherries, white choc, sunflower seeds, orange peel/candy, don’t be too keen to cook them for too long, they’ll harden up fine once heated and cooled. Burt offerings are Yuk.

molgrips
    Free Member

Flapjacks have too much fat in them to be ideal energy bars.

You could try reducing the fat content, or maybe doing something like adding lots of sugar (or maltodextrin) with only a tiny bit of water so it’ll melt in the oven and then stiffen up on cooling, like caramel.

I think Torq bars are stiff maltodextrin paste with dried fruit and what seems to be puffed ricw.

sugdenr
    Free Member

‘Put some energy in your backpack
    with some Reggae, Reggae Flapjack’

Thanyou very much (sugdenr has left the building)

rthomas17
    Free Member

I’ll get my kids to help me make them, that way I can blame them if it all goes wrong.
    Anyway, presentation counts for nought when you start getting “the bonk” – just need some stodge to get you over that last hill….

thomthumb
    Free Member

rice crispies.

apples & raisins for fructose content.

phatstanley
    Free Member

here’s a link to delia smith’s recipe:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/chocolate-marbled-energy-bars.html%5D

awesome for bikin’, canoein’, hikin’ campin’, post sesh munchin’…whatever. they hold their shape well as long as you pat them down hard before baking.
    it sez use pecans but i’ve used all kinds nuts in the past. the “holding factor” of the condensed milk and treacle are the key to this one…and i just use plain choc on top rather than faff w/ marbled effects.

i think they’re awesome.

thomthumb
    Free Member

those delia ones look dead tasty. but theres too much fat to be classed as an energy bar imo.

I’m still gonna make em though. nom nom nom.

phatstanley
    Free Member

but theres too much fat to be classed as an energy bar imo.

fair enough.
    i see them more as a kind of modern ‘lembas’ like what the elves make in LOTR, but better tasting. they keep me goin’ and keep the tummy growls at bay…

molgrips
    Free Member

You could always just spread chocolate spread/jam/peanut butter/whatever on a tortilla and roll it up. They are very tough, don’t go stale and are very delicious.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molly – could I put a mars bar in the centre of that?

thomthumb
    Free Member

my previous versions have been very flapjacklike. more recent ones – recipe from jimmers off ere – have been:

oats
    rice crispies
    orange (should be apple but i get OAS)
    bannna
    raisins
    maltodextrin powder ( replace with egg if not)

water to get texture flapjack like

bake for a bit.

next batch will be apricot and ginger…

molgrips
    Free Member

You could put a mars bar in the centre of your belly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Home Made Energy Bars’ is closed to new replies.