Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Home made electrolyte / juice drink?
  • jwmlee
    Free Member

Was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for a home made sports drink.

I would like to make it out of (diluted?) fruit juice and table salt if possible. Does anyone know the optimum concentrations to make up 1 litre?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Google jibberjim (tri talk fame) – all the recipes you need. Or simply squash, touch of salt, shake enjoy!

rewski
    Free Member

I would use rock salt from the Himalayas, or something like maldon, a good big pinch should be fine, depends if you sweat a lot.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

…or just drink 1 ltr of juice and eat a packet of crisps?

ratherbeintobago

…or just drink 1 ltr of juice and eat a packet of crisps?

As indeed I am doing now. Being a Scotsman in Yorkshire, I too am looking for an electrolyte drink recipe. I’ve had a look at jibberjim’s stuff but it all involves proprietary electrolyte. Anyone have any suggestions for quantities of eg. table salt?

Andy

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

myprotein.co.uk

2:1 mix of maltodextrin:fructose
    4:1 of the above mix with whey protein
    half tsp per bottle of electrolyte powder.

Cheeper than boxed orange juice, just add flavour with squash, and doesn’t give me stomach cramps like drinking 3l of OJ does on a hot day.

it all involves proprietary electrolyte. Anyone have any suggestions for quantities of eg. table salt?

Table salt (sodium chloride) will make up the majority of the electrolyte powder as it’s the most common salt needed in the body (also helps that it’s the most common salt on the planet too), other things needed are potasium, calcium, magnesium, carbonates, and a few other odds and ends. Best bet for DIY is probably to eat a bannana every so often as the body’s quite good at balancing out excesses of electrolyte so as long as there’s some coming form somewhere and it’s not excessive it’ll sort itself out.

Electrolyte powder’s pretty cheep though and just takes out the guesswork.

theotherjonv

50:50 fruit juice and water, and then a pinch of any old salt.

Don’t get orange juice with bits in though, clogs up the bite valve on the camelbak

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just checked and 2.5kg of maltodextrin is £7.79, 1kg of fructose is £5.49, mix them together and at 50g/700ml makes 49litres for £13, the electrolyte power is £8/250g, which would make 500l of ‘isotonic’ drink. So about 30p/litre, about the same as diluted OJ, but a bit more ‘designed’ rather than guessed, works for me.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

What you need…

1.1g salt
    200ml of Safeway’s Blackcurrant drink
    or
    215ml of Sainsbury’s High Juice Orange
    44g of Boots’ Glucose-C powder
    1 litre bottle
    and accurate weighing scales

…to make your own 1 litre sports drink

1. Pour the blackcurrant concentrate into a 1-
    litre bottle.
    2. Carefully add the glucose powder
    3. Add the salt
    4. Fill bottle with water and shake vigorously
    5. Serve chilled

Recommendations:

Before exercise or less than one hour, drink 300-500ml of water. Add 30-50g of carbohydrate if exercise is to last longer than an hour.
    During exercise of less than one hour, drink 500-1000ml of water. During longer exercise, drink 800-1600ml of a sports drink per hour.
    After exercise, rehydration needs can usually be met through food and water. If you’re competing again within a few hours, rehydrate
    using a sports drink.

…just read that somewhere

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Home made electrolyte / juice drink?’ is closed to new replies.