Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Home made bash :) (pics)
  • R.lepecha

I decided to make a bash ring out of an old truitiv chainring.

Nearly all teeth removed

primed, ready to be painted

painted silver, couldn't be arsed going to buy some orange paint to follow the colour scheme, but the silver go's with the derailleurs and pedals 🙂 its got a few coats of lacquer on it too

I like it 🙂

stevieeeh
    Free Member

Good work.

Me likes a lot.

crocodilian
    Free Member

Yeah, nice job! Saved yourself £30 or more probably.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yesiamtom
    Free Member

Thats very nice indeed, has sent some cogs whirring in my own head i must admit!

DT78
    Free Member

What did you use to remove the teeth / grind it down? (power tool novice here)

Phatman
    Free Member

Let us know what happens when you actually bash it off something…

psychle
    Free Member

yep, that's not really a 'bashguard' is it? More a cosmetic addition to your bike (a nice one I agree, but cosmetic nonetheless 😉 ) Hope you took care of any sharp edges on there… could be lethal that! 😯

brant
    Free Member

Here are some more things you might like:-

http://heroofswitzerland.blogspot.com/search/label/Top%20Tips

F-StopJunkie
    Free Member

That will protect your trousers, but it's no bash ring. Whack it into a log or rock and it'll bend. If you're lucky it'll bend outwards and just be a pain in the bum. If it bends inwards and obstructs the chain, you'll be cursing.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Well I like it anyway. Looks good.

snowslave

It seems an awful lot of trouble to make something that looks like a bash ring!

tinribz
    Free Member

Did something similier on a deore outer ring, the teeth are like butter when you put a file one them. Was more to keep daughters trowsers clean than a bash guard. Works a treat.

R.lepecha

bench grinder after i snapped them of using a pair of plyers. relitavley easy realy. and if you hit it hard enough it'l bend. if u hit a plastic one hard enough it'll crack. i've never bent an outer ring and ive bashed a few. but i never ride in the outer so i thought, may aswell make it look a bit better and save the bottom of my trackies in the colder weather.

scaredypants

grumpy buggers 😉

Whack it into a log or rock and it'll bend

I've hit a chainring off rocks/logs plenty of times – mostly just snaps off one or two teeth if it's a big impact

nickc

More useful with the teeth still on it.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Exactly, if there are no teeth is bends the ring.
    Far from being plastic, the lexam construction of proper bash guards is designed to be bullet proof. It absorbs impacts and glides over rocks where alloy bash guards bend and grab.
    I've got examples from old race bikes to back this uo.

R.lepecha

i know where your coming from but i know some one thats cracked a plastic one so the theory of bullet proof does not work in practice. mine wasnt ever meant to be super strong. ive never snapped teeth of a chainring either when ive bashed them. maybe its because i dont weight much for it to dig in? i dont know. but my bashguard type thing seems like marmite, some of you love it, some of you hate it.

infact i shall make some stickers for it. one that says love. one that says hate.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

it looks nice and everything but seems a bit pointless. The clearance is no better than before but you've lost a chainring. I suppose it stops your trousers getting dirty.

Earl
    Free Member

great idea. stops the shins/calf getting eaten when the foot slips off the pedal. Gonna copy that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good effort. Nice result.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Hope you used an alumninium specific grinding wheel. A standard wheel can become clogged, unbalanced, debonded, shatter and explode!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't mind this. A large proportion of ambient jey-core-lite bash-rings clearly never sustain any impact that would seriously damage a chainring. 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

that looks like some dog poo on your front tyre

R.lepecha

iain1775 – its a wet leaf haha.

ballsofcottonwool – and well, my dads used them before for aluminium and hardened steel, so im pretty sure they will be fine.

oh and scu98rkr – i never used it anyway, so it was only sat there eating my trouser leg up.

st

Years ago I helped my Dad make one out of a sheet of steel. Must have been 4mm thick at least and cut with a hacksaw and jigsaw.

Took a weekend to do but was a nice finished job. It dig ding easily when bashed off stuff but was thick enough to cope.

Seems like a lot of effort looking back but it was for a trails style bike I was putting together back when they were new and bashrings were hard to come by and more than my pocket money could afford.

R.lepecha

added some stickers, i like it better now

TheSanityAssassin

Trackie bottoms? WTF – are you TJ?

R.lepecha

cantt be bothered buying some full length endura's or similar. ive got humvee shorts.

Mugboo

Did this a couple of years ago and its still going strong, its not bent on rocks/logs or chopped off my arms/legs when i've bailed and best of all it was free!!

Used a jigsaw to remove the teeth off a worn out chainring and made sure it was nice and blunt with a file.

Works well with my 36 tooth chainring.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Home made bash :) (pics)’ is closed to new replies.