Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Home insurance tips (had historic subsidence)……
  • moniex
    Free Member

Our 1930’s semi in norwich had subsidence in about 1994. Not the area, but due to previous owner putting concrete over lead water pipe and pipe springing a leak. Been underpinned, officially paid for by insurance at the time (cost about £3000).

Ever since then we have been paying very high home/contents insurance. This year is 850 ish! This does include bikes with value up to 2500 each also away from the home, it’s with Woolwich.

My husband says cant get it any cheaper, but I doubt this. He says he looked into it etc. I think we should be paying about half the amount….

Any tips on who to contact? I believe our house is less likely to suffer future subsidence than the average house… Also only claims in last 13 years were damaged fence by weather and accidental damage to rug.

Cheers

Simone

csb

Adrian Flux did my Dads

Tiboy

My parents have this issue with their house, they are with NFU mutual who are very reasonable and will pay out for future subsidence which is pretty rare from what I understand. Worth a call.

keaboing
    Free Member

DeLite Insurance Agency
    http://www.deliteinsurance.co.uk
    01634 570020

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I think we were originally with Halifax but are now with Adrian flux paying about half of what you are.
    Not many insurers will even cover you with previous subsidence, like you said its daft as our foundations are way stronger than the average house.
    I think you just struggle to get a competitive quite due to the limited number of insurers you can use.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If it was a leaking pipe then it patently wasn’t clay heave / settlement. Do you know any geologists?

ebygomm
    Free Member

I think it’s Liverpool and another that are only interested in subsidence in the past 10 years.

I know I investigated when we bought our house as it had historic movement (coal mining) and went with one of them.

Edit: Legal and General only ask about the last 15 years and AXA only ask about the last 10

moniex
    Free Member

Cheers guys, ill give your suggestions a try. I found most of the time they’ll ask for any claims in the last 10 years, but ANY history of subsidence.

Also a friend mentioned movement due to water leak is called something different and puts it in a deferent category to subsidence for insurance!? Anyone else heard this? This may apply to us?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Unless someone comes up with something better, call it settlement: that might not ring alarm bells at the other end.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance tips (had historic subsidence)……’ is closed to new replies.