Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Home improvements – Eco''ing it
  • goldfish24

Off the back of a trip round Brighton with their Eco open houses event (still ongoing if you’re interested in such things) and visiting houses ranging from full on passivhaus to a brilliant 50’s semi with log burner and diy triple glazing, I’m inspired to see what little to medium things I can do to my own 30’s end of terrace to up the Eco credentials and perhaps reduce running costs.

The former owner had cavity walls done and loft was insulated, but that was all done 20 years ago and the combi boiler is about 15 yrs old (but in fine fettle, for now).

Given I might not stay in this house much more than a few years, is there anything worth looking at now, for me or future owners? My energy supplier are asking me to fill in a form to be contacted regarding free loft insulation, worth pursuing?

There a drafty, unused chimney I’m thinking about plugging…

IainAhh
    Free Member

My dad had extra insulation put in his loft of a 1950’s house. He reckons it makes a noticable difference to warmth, bills. More than a foot thick now. When it was put in they were careful not to screw up the intended airflow / ventilation.

I think good insulation is meant to be the most cost effective / best eco you can do to many homes.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you can, insulate the floor. Often overlooked and a complete heat soak in my 60’s mid terrace (suspended timber, on the to-do list).

Do the chimney for sure but remember you need to keep it ventilated to avoid moisture buildup (unless you plan on completely removing it).

Sort the lights out, I would honestly say best bang for buck is CFL’s, I’m yet to be convinced that LED’s are remotely as efficient in terms of cost, longevity and manufacturing as they claim to be.

Decent curtains with thick lining are as good an insulator as any.

Make sure all doors and windows are adjusted properly to prevent draughts. Similarly seal the loft hatch.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

From a heating* perspective, first thing to start with is drafts. Chimney balloon** are cheap and effective, and plug a massive hole that is designed to suck out hot air! Then on a windy day, get some joss sticks and light a couple, and wander round the house pointing them at every nook and cranny you can find. This will help identify drafts. Then plug the holes. Simples.

Curtains (heavy winter lined ones) are great, cheap (ish), easy to install with little upheaval, and you can take them with you if you move.

Lighting is worth it, if you have old incandescent bulbs. Just replace then all (well ones that get used) with the cheapest low energy CFL’s you can find.

If you have cold floors, and you want a cheap fix, buy some rugs / carpet offcuts. Layer them up if you want super comfort.

*likely to be 50% or more of gas bill.
    ** I take my chimney balloon out in spring, and re-install in autumn. That way give the chimney time to dry out, if there is any damp, and also vents the house during the summer months.

jam-bo

when does a draft become ventilation?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Home improvements – Eco''ing it’ is closed to new replies.