Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Home frame builders & experts
  • oldgit
    Free Member

How do you achieve that hidden cable affair in the top tube?
    Thinking about building a Columbus 29er, fillet brazed and all to my spec.
    I like a really short wheelbase, a C-T of about 53cm and a TT length more often found on 56cm bikes.

woodsman
    Free Member

I’m neither an expert or frame builder but, I can answer your question. A brass tube is inserted and brazed in. Ceeway are the UK frame builder suppliers, have a look on their site or email them.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll have a word. My mates just bought two tubing sets from them – very nice.

woodsman
    Free Member

Are you going to build your new frame on a course, like the Yates one?

I’d like to, but there is a two year waiting list!

oldgit
    Free Member

No, my mate has a jig. Somethings are pretty standard, but it gives me the opportunity to tweek certain aspects.

Hairychested
    Free Member

You really are something else! Hats off!

woodsman
    Free Member

Cool! put a picture up when you’ve got a raw (unpainted) frame – like to see that. Please.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Have a look through jay_ntwr’s series of “WWTP” threads on the MTBR frame building forum. Pretty sure he did internal routing.

crikey
    Free Member

Um, I don’t think you have to complicate things; I’ve got a Klein Attitude and an old Kinesis road frame that simply have holes in the tubing with full outer cable runs through the frame.

packer
    Free Member

That’s not such a good idea on steel frames though, where water getting in is more of an issue.

oldgit
    Free Member

It was just an idea to hide the hydraulic hose on a singlespeed. I’ll have to think of something else unique.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bottom brackets about to be threaded, followed by fitting of the seat tube.
    My mates building two first.
    It’s all very exciting 😐

ocrider

That’s not such a good idea on steel frames though, where water getting in is more of an issue.

And how does the water get in?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiDp95XvHUc[/video]
    Masterclass from Rody of Groovy Cycleworks. Make its look dead easy, he does.

woodsman
    Free Member

That’s how it’s done!

They’re on Ceeway, ‘cable tunnels’ I think they call them – in brass of course. I must say, I wouldn’t go down that route myself – if you pardon the pun, although it would look cool on a SS!

oldgit
    Free Member

Bottom brackets cut, threaded and milled. The key stone bas been laid.

james-o
    Free Member

i saw a frame on frameforum a year or so ago where a ti tube was inserted into the frame and the hydraulic hose was attached to that – so there was a permanent internal hydro line all the way through and the hose was re-attached to the seat stay.. god knows how many hours went into that frame!

oldgit
    Free Member

First tube should be done today, pics later. I think I want my cross build to be lugged a singlespeed, based on w Gios Evolution.

oldgit
    Free Member

Diamond done, all the brazing needs tidying. This is my mates one and the first build, Columbus 29er.

Rough picture!

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Too late for the front triangle, but for the rest of the bike, file your fillets hot; makes the work MUCH easier.

From that photo it looks like the heat’s been on the tubing for a long time, what sort of torch is he using?

oldgit
    Free Member

Cheers top tip. I’ll check about the torch, but I know there were issues with the two different wall thicknesses if that makes sense?
    Took a while to sort the jig, and he has two framesets to build before I can burn holes in expensive pipework.
    And I didn’t realise how time consuming the whole thing is, but I’d want to build a lugged frameset that’ll be a hole lot easier.

mick_r

I remember chatting to Dave Yates at a NEMBA race – he mentioned filing them hot (he also mentioned the file could get quite hot and useful to have some spares to swap between 🙂

I’m not really experienced enough regarding the heat – however a lot of the pretty pictures / videos on the internet are using a gas fluxer which leaves the joint much cleaner and tidier. One thing I’ve never worked out is that some of the videos look a bit on the “cold” side – SIFBronze No.1 melting point is nearly 900C which would need steel to be cherry red.

Do you know what size rods you are using? I’ve been making practice joint using 1.6mm which is easy to melt but needs a pretty rapid feed rate to build up fillets. I’m considering buying some 2.4mm and wondered if you have any advice.

I’m just at the end of a pile of house jobs – some quality framebuilding time has now been sanctioned (need to have it finished for SSEC in May).

Mick

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Home frame builders & experts’ is closed to new replies.