Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Home colour printer
  • jimc101
    Free Member

Hi All

Looking for a colour printer for home use. this will be used for college work, so lots of colour printing.

currently using a basic HP Photosmart, but going though a lot of ink, which is getting expensive.

Any suggestions on what’s out there with cost effective ink.

TIA

Waderider
    Free Member

Cannon MG6150 is what I use for uni work. £17 quid for a full set of cartridges on amazon. Can be had for £100ish. Good quality, wireless and ethernet connectivity, scanner built in, costs me about 3p a sheet I reckon with the non-Canon cartridges – which are fine. Linux drivers available which matters to me.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I believe Kodak printers have the cheapest running costs.

maccruiskeen

the ink, not the printer is where you’ll spend the money in the long run. Look for printers where the colours are individual cartridges otherwise you’ll be junking ones that are still full of one colour but out of another.

Then find the retailer where you’ll get your ink from (shop or online) and see which cartridges are the best value, then look at the printer that uses those cartridges.

I’ve ended up with two printers and HP office jet Officejet which is great for volume b&w printing (it shakes the table and throws paper across the room) , but shockingly expensive and wasteful for colour (combined colour cartridge) and a Canon iP3600 which is better for colour (uses 5 seperate cartridges) but slooooowww for large documents. Can’t tell you whether its a great colour printer as that doesn’t matter to me but its an effective and economical one.

If you really expect to do a lot of colour work some (and you’re a good bodger) some people – my brother included – bodge printers to run of the big ink reservoirs from large format printers. Theres an example here

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Home colour printer’ is closed to new replies.